Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
panteli2011
AF Newbie

Question Power Seat Failure

I have a 90 Thunderbird Super Coupe with Electronic seats.

The Driver seat has stopped moving back and forth.

The seat has power because it has the ability to go up and down and also allows the bolsters to movin along with the lumbar.

What can i try to do to fix it and allow the seat to go back to normal.

I think that it may just be off of the tracks.
panteli2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:03 AM   #2
Bob9646
AF Newbie

Re: Power Seat Failure

With the car off listen to it and you try to hear if operating the switches makes the motors make any whirring noises, if it doesn't then you know there is a faulty switch or motor. I don't know anything about disassembling SC seats, but take the switch board off the seat and use a multimeter to check and see if moving the switches causes any current to pass through the wire.

I've never heard of any car seat "coming off the tracks"
Mods- PI top end swap, C&L plenum, 75mm throttle body, 03 mustang gt intake tube, airbox, 80mm MAFS, 300hp+ J-Mod, tuned really hot by Lonnie at Blue Oval Chips with an sct X3, mid length dual exhaust with mandrel bent X-pipe and turndowns
Up next- aluminum driveshaft, 22c plugs, 180 degree thermostat and a tune to match, polyurethane EVERYTHING, possibly lowering springs
Bob9646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
97Bird
AF Moderator

Re: Power Seat Failure

Try spraying some tuner cleaner into the switch that controls the back and forth motion in case the contacts are dirty. Tuner cleaner is available in the electrical/electronic dept of many hardware stores or at Radio Shack. Don't spray the cleaner on the seat or carpet because I don't know if it will remove the color or stain them. The switch is the usual problem. Remove the connector from the motor and connect a digital voltmeter between the two leads of the harness going to that motor. When you press the switch in one direction it should read 12V. When you press the switch in the other direction the meter will read -12V. If you have an analog meter then connect the - lead to a good ground location and with the switch in one direction, one of the two leads going to the motor will show 12V. With the switch in the other direction, the other lead will show 12V. If you get these readings then the switch is functioning. Plug the cable back into the motors and if it still doesn't work then the motor is most likely at fault. You can next remove the motor from the seat track and see if it operates by itself.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
power , seats , thunderbird
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird