Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 09:42 AM   #1
ace91
AF Regular

k/m '05(ordinary(my first ever conversion))

hi guys,

i'm gonna start my first ever conversion kit that is the k/m '05 plain version. i'm using the repsol honda valencia as the kit donor along with the exhaust resin parts renaissance brand. the k/m decals & the conversion parts are also renaissance. my first time ever to use renaissance brand.

i tried to trim the excess edges of the exhaust holder with a knife before i made the west rc211v as i couldn't decide which one to make at that time. somehow, when i tried to trim off the excess, i think i pressed a little bit too hard that a part broke. now i can't find the broken part. anyway, at least i have the alternative which i can use the tamiya part. this is the first time i've ever handled resin parts. didn't know that resin parts can be fragile.

adrian
ace91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 02:05 AM   #2
ace91
AF Regular

Re: k/m '05(ordinary(my first ever conversion))

hi again,

i'm trying to get rid of the excess edges on the front fender on the areas which i circled by filing it. are there any other alternatives or there's no choice but to file & sand it off?

as for the tire rims, i thought of french blue which i would use for the rgv gamma xr89 which i'm gonna build when i get my hands on the details up parts sms version. but since i got myself the ts-23 light blue, i've used it & this is the result.

adrian
Old 08-20-2006, 06:55 AM   #3
Ole_L
AF Regular

Nice start... yes, resin is very brittle so be careful. Also wear a mask when you cut or sand. Resin dust is not the best stuff around. As for sanding, that is the best way, just be careful and take your time.
Ole_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
ace91
AF Regular

i need help here before i might break a resin part again. the diagram below is the nose cowl which i have filed the excess. as i've built some tamiya bikes before, i know that the nose cowl would have the holes for the screw so that the side fairings can be screwed together. i circle the area knowing the screw hole should be around there. but how do i make a hole there? i tried to use the tweezer to make a hole but i may either hurt my finger or break that part. so, i didn't dare to do anything reckless.

adrian
Old 08-20-2006, 10:13 AM   #5
desmo16
AF Newbie

Adrian,
You're a machine! You must be one really lucky guy to have the time to build so quickly (what's your rate 200-300 a year?!)

As mentioned, wear a dust mask as resin dust is carcinogenic! Better yet, 'wet sand' whenever possible.
Another tip (if you know this already, forgive me): the mould release on resin parts can be quite difficult to remove. I use oven cleaner to clean the parts, let them soak for 30 min. or so, and then gently scrub the parts with an old, soft toothbrush (skip scrubbing the small parts-they will break too easily). Rinse, and wash the parts again with the rest of the kit parts as you would normally. This prevents 'fisheyes' when painting and/or the paint being lifted off with masking tape. Use any primer (like Tamiya, Mr. Surfacer, or Finisher's) as a base coat.
I will also check my K/M kit for the drill issue. However, I would suggest trying find the center of what appears where the hole should go (I imagine it has some sort of outline, however faint or poorly shaped), and drill a small pilot hole with a pin vise. Then drill out that hole to the proper diameter. I say this without looking at it, however. I will check my t-kit.
Nice work on the wheels, BTW. This is a source of some problems because they need to match the decals. I read whereby an Italian modeller used Tamiya's clear blue (X-23?) over white primer and built up the colour until it matched the decal sheet. He admitted that it took many coats to achieve the results desired, but there you have it: an alternative approach.
I'm going to have to post my WIP of my 01 'Red Bull' YZR500 once I figure out how to post pics (God knows I'm not the most tech savvy group member!)
Keep up the great work!
Michael
1/24 M-B CLK-GTR 'CLK Sportswear'
desmo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:54 AM   #6
ace91
AF Regular

whoa.... 200-300? i wish i have the money at the first place.

you mean that i put the resin parts in water for at least 30 mins then i brush it off after that?

i'm working on the fender & i seem to have difficulty in fitting in the fork.

micheal, there is a link called 'gallery'. in the gallery, you login your username & password. after you have login, there is an option called 'upload photos'. from there, you can upload the photos in the site. do take note that the size limit is only 80k per photo upload. after you have successfully upload the photo, go to 'my gallery' where you can see the photos you have uploaded. when you click the photo, there is something that you can copy the url pic and paste it into your thread. i hope this helps.

adrian
Old 08-22-2006, 12:50 AM   #7
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Michael suggests that you cover the resin parts with oven cleaner (comes in spray cans in the super market) to get rid of the sort of grease that Renaissance (and others) use to keep the resin from stucking to the molds. If the "grease" is left on the resin it can make painting difficult as the paint will have problem sticking to the part.

If you are to drill a new hole, check if there is a hole in the side cowling. If it is then you can use that one for guidance. Just hold the parts together and mark the top cowl with a pencil or something through the hole. Another idea is not to screw the parts together at all... If you're not to remove the cowls later on you can just glue them in place and get rid of that ugly looking, out of scale screw?
/Joel
Old 08-23-2006, 08:01 PM   #8
ace91
AF Regular

hi guys,

it's been a while. i nearly have lost my motivation in buillding the k/m as i'm having difficulty in test fitting the fender with the front fork. but anyway, i'll try again tonight as i have completed the swing arm today. here are the pics.

for the swingarm i forgot that the resin parts wasn't drilled properly so i have a bit of difficulty of screwing the swing arm together at the pic below the first one. so, the screw is not fully fastened. i've tried to drill deeper but i couldn't. even the pic above where i circled, i also forgot that there's a hole for that so i frantically tried to make a small hole on it. anyway, better learn from this thing to strive for better for upcoming bikes.

adrian
Old 08-24-2006, 06:07 AM   #9
pjesus
AF Newbie

Now that's a RCV I would build!

ace91,
last year I took some high-res detail pics of that bike on our local GP, you can find them on http://www.modelersite.com/ (issue from May 2005, or go to Archive and search for author 'Paulo Tiago de Jesus')

Here is a preview (click on thumbnail):

Hope it helps...

Cheers!

[edit]
PS:
Is the Renaissance transkit very different from the original Tamiya's cowls/swingarm? At first sight they look very similar, even from the photos I have...

Last edited by pjesus; 08-24-2006 at 10:45 AM.
pjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:49 AM   #10
ace91
AF Regular

pjesus, thanks for the photo. i'll look into that for the upcoming bike. i thought that the side cowls, the bottom cowls & the left swing arm that renaissance provides are similar to the '04 version. as far as i believe when i see the photos in the pit walk photos, the seat cowl & the tail cowl '05 is different than '04 version.

the photo below is the left side of the holder of the swing arm where the stand would be placed is damaged. i accidentally damged that part when i wanted to place the stand but doesnt seem to fit so i pressed hard to fit it in. what happened next is i heard a snap & felt something hit my nose. luckilly i managed to recover the broken part. man, how can i forget that resin part is fragile.

this photo is the nose cowl after i drilled the hole both sides for the side cowl to be screwed. what i did is test fit one of the side cowls, poke the part with a pair of tweezers till a small hole can be seen and drilled it with the screwdriver provided by tamiya. extra care is needed so that i won't prick my finger when i drill the hole. after one side is done, repeat for the other side.

the photo here is the seat stopper where i will drill 2 holes for the cushion to be placed at the area which i circled. it'll take a while to get the holes right for that.

the photo below is the resin parts which i primed & painted.

that'll be it for the time being.
adrian
Old 08-27-2006, 03:19 AM   #11
ace91
AF Regular

hi guys,

i need your opinion on the photo below. i've been looking at the front fork with the fender placed for some time but somehow i feel that the fender is a little bit out of position. what's your opinion on that?

here is the photo of the nose & the side cowl which i filed, primed & painted.

adrian
Old 08-27-2006, 05:24 AM   #12
ace91
AF Regular

hi again,

i've just finished test fitting the cushion on the seat cowl & that's how it looks like. what i did is similar to the nose cowl except i put a mark with a pencil before i drill it. gonna paint the seat cowl, the fuel tank cover & the bottom cowl probably tues depending how busy will i be in work as i'm definitely not free tomorrow.

adrian
Old 08-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #13
slightfan
AF Regular

In regards to front fender yes it is wrong cut of the oil pots on the forks as they are not there on the real bike ,if they are they have been moved to a different postion,have the same T/K but mine the Moviestar version
Shayne
slightfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:35 PM   #14
BugZilla
Authorized Vendor

Hey Adrian,

Looking great so far.

Resin parts are harder to work with than their plastic counterparts, even if they are molded from the same part. There may be slight warpage, mold misalignment issues and as you found, some of the holes might be filled with resin, or slight dimples. When building a resin kit for the first time, I build the kit to at least 80% before painting or other detail work. That way I can get a feel for the way everything fits and make adjustments for fit. I wash the parts with warm soapy water and sometimes a spray degreaser like 409, or something similar. As always, reference out the yingyang is a must.

PS M.O. is here. I'll e-mail you tomorrow.

Dave
Old 08-28-2006, 04:07 AM   #15
ace91
AF Regular

shayne, how do u remove the oil pots? with a knife or sanding it off?

i'm currently waiting for the paint on the seat cowl to dry. after that, i'll test fit the decals on the side cowl knowing that the decals is not set up for the gaps.

dave, good to hear that the m.o has reached you.

adrian

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes