Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 04:40 AM   #1
2cm
AF Newbie

streetglow light up pedals installation help

ok i have some pedals from streetglow and it comes with a switch and the switch has a wire thats well just a wire, im suppose to hook into some 12v device... Where do i uhh go and put this wire?
and how could i get this to connect to the interior lights, so when i switch the nob to turn on the inside lights like for my cd player and the gauge panels.

I have a 2000 civic ex

also i have one of the lights that basically blinks with the beat of music and it hooks into the lighter thing, would i be able to mayby cut that part off and hook the wires into the fusebox or something to make it look more cleaner and use my lighter eletrical thing for something else?
I would like to be able and hook this light up to mayby a switch and i might want to get about 2 lights and hook them both up to the same switch.

Thanks,
2cm
2cm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 11:38 AM   #2
hardhousenrg303
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to hardhousenrg303
well i have one of those rods too and that was the next thing i was gonna do to it...yes its possible. just make sure you cut the wire that goes from the box to the cigarette lighter. to hook up the pedals, take off the fuse box cover that should be under your steering wheel and to the left. I have a 98 civic but it should be the same. Take out your manual and look for the fuse that is for the instrument panel (it may also tell you what fuse it is by looking at the back of the fuse box cover). Take out this fuse and take the wire with the grey lines on it (assuming there is a black wire and a black wire with grey lines)...and make sure you have stripped like half an inch of the end of the wire..and stick it in the top hole for the fuse...then put the fuse back in with the wire still in there..it should still go in without any problems. then take the black wire..or the one that says it should be grounded in the instructions..and there should be a decent sized nut to the right of the fuse box itself that holds it in place. unscrew it a bit and then place this wire under it and then screw it on tightly so the wire is in place under it. i have a light up shift knob and that is where i wired it to so this should work. do the same with the rod wires...find out which one is the ground wire and which is not, cause on mine they are both silver. if you have any problems still let me know
hardhousenrg303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 11:42 AM   #3
hardhousenrg303
AF Newbie

oh and also...if you are gonna hook both up to the same fuse...you dont have to put two wires in the fuse hole and two under the screw...just strip like a cm of each wire that is already connected and take the wires of what you wanna connect and strip the ends and wrap each one around the right wire where it is stripped a bit and then wrap it up with electrical tape.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:33 PM   #4
whiteracer
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to whiteracer Send a message via Yahoo to whiteracer
here, this should help. You can hook up as many as 8 neon devices to the distributor block. You need red male and female connectors, and red U shaped connectors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg neonwiring.jpg (45.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-06-2003, 12:37 PM   #5
whiteracer
AF Enthusiast

where the wires go into the fuse and then into the fuse block doesn't make sense on that diagram. So what you do is wire it correctly up to the switch part. then connect a wire to the switch and strip the other end. with that end, find an empty fuse hole and shove it in there. then turn your car on, it should provide power to the neons. Except that it might provide too much and it won't stay in there when you go driving. So you find a 15A fuse and pin the wire that's in the empty hole down with this fuse. Thereby connecting the wire to the fuse box permanetly and providing an inline fuse for safety. Thanks to ci5ic for the diagram. Feels good to know that if i'm bored and have a set of neons somewhere, that i can connect one end to the distributor block and the other to the ground and presto, a new set of neons.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:49 PM   #6
2cm
AF Newbie

do i really need the grounding wire? like what would happen if i didnt plug it into something?
Old 08-06-2003, 12:52 PM   #7
hardhousenrg303
AF Newbie

then it wont work
Old 08-06-2003, 12:54 PM   #8
whiteracer
AF Enthusiast

oh jeez...

I came into a discussion not really knowing anything about electricity. I did however know that you need a positive and negative terminal. hmm, like a battery. I've almost lost my patience with some people.
You need to ground it. Bottom line. To allow for the flow of electricity. Go disconnect the negative terminal on your battery and tell me how far you get.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:57 PM   #9
2cm
AF Newbie

well i obviously didnt
Old 08-06-2003, 12:57 PM   #10
whiteracer
AF Enthusiast

and you don't "plug" the negative wire into anything. You wrap it around a bolt like the one that holds the seat belt harness to the car just inside the door. and the negative wire is usually the black wire with a white stripe on it. If it's like some neon tubes, you're going to have to test it on a battery (your car's works fine) and touch one stipped wire to one terminal and the other to the other terminal, if it glows you know that which wire is which.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:25 PM   #11
2cm
AF Newbie

got them working.... thx for help

sorry if im a bit of a uhh dumbass
Old 08-06-2003, 01:30 PM   #12
whiteracer
AF Enthusiast

don't reward yourself for getting them to work, i believe the factory that made them did that for you.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:53 AM   #13
2cm
AF Newbie

did i say that i was going to have a party or something?

dont think i did but i did say thx for the help and thx for putting up with me being a bit of a dumbass...

btw yes i felt proud and i had to like go show it to all of my friends because i have a small penis and need to make up with it with foot pedals that are very crooked...

i like parties
Old 08-07-2003, 11:40 AM   #14
whiteracer
AF Enthusiast

so you felt proud that you touch the two wires to the battery and the pedals lit up? to top it off, you had to show your friends that electricity is in fact for real?
Old 08-07-2003, 07:02 PM   #15
Streetwise
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Streetwise
First of all, a 98 and a 2000 are differant in a few ways. Secondly, if you don't use relays when hooking up electrical acc. s , it's not proper. Next, you have to solder and tape all connections. Not just tape, no wire caps, crimp caps, bla bla bla. Do it right, or why do it. Anything you add(electrically) uses more of your alternator. If it's stock, and you wan't a seriously well oiled machine, take a little time and self respect and hook it up right. If you want to be a hack, then jump on in.
Streetwise is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio