Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Frontier | Navara
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
borninabarn
AF Regular

2002 Frontier 3.2 Supercharger Any problems with these motors???

Hello Frontier Friends,
I worked for Nissan in the early 90s for 10 years and knew the product then.I am looking for a 4x4 Frontier and found a 2002 crew-cab with 140k.Super clean truck but it has the 3.2 Supercharged motor and not being around Nissan for a few years was wondering if these motors are a big problem?Alot of problems?or seem to be a decent motor?In the old days being a parts man and working at the service counter timing belts a 60k were the big service thing that people should do.Any of you Nissan techs out there or owners of this 3.2 supercharged motor would you please let me know if it is a safe move to purchase this truck or is there going to be alot of problems to worry about? Please let me know your thoughts!Thanks for your time!Born from Iowa
borninabarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
ERGOMOTO
AF Newbie

Post Re: 2002 Frontier 3.2 Supercharger Any problems with these motors???

Hello Borninabarn,

I've got the '03 S/C 3.3 liter version and until recently had no trouble what so ever. I've loved the truck and it's mild performance, only wishing that I had sprung for the 4x4 version rather than the street performance package. I'd be only mildly interested in off road performance where this S/C trucks motor is notoriously under torqued. My only issue, until now, is fuel economy. I tend to drive the truck pretty hard and just suck up the gas at an average of 16 MPG -even with all the mods one can do to these trucks.

I'm chasing down an off idle soft metallic grind that most certainly is emanating from the Eaton M62 supercharger's bearings. There's surprisingly little info on the net or in manuals regarding these trucks and their fist generation Eaton Superchargers, frustratingly. Additionally, the Nissan service bulletin bewilderingly does not provide for any maintenance or timely oil changes. This unit's nose cone is equipped with a Torx plug that would make doing so a snap.

As little of these truck are around anymore, too many are turning up at forums looking for answers regarding this S/C grinding noise issue. It's a $700 and up exchange, I'm going the rebuild, educational route.

Though you can decrease this S/C pulley for better performance, there's little more that you can do aftermarket performance wise to the truck other that cat back & cold air. No headers, chip, programmable ECU/M, etc...

Best,
Mark S
ERGOMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Frontier | Navara