Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
fpruter
AF Newbie

Transmission Swap

How much would a transmission swap be for a 1971 Dodge Dart? It is an automatic but I want a manual.
fpruter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:01 AM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: Transmission Swap

FP,

If you're asking how much a shop would charge to do such a swap, you're going to have to talk to a shop in your area familiar with that specific job. Each area of the country has different labor rates and levels of expertise.

If you live in SoCal, lucky you! There are more fabrication and restoration shops there than the rest of the country combined. if you DO live there, unlucky you! Labor rates are as high as anywhere... (possibly except the Bay Area). NOTE: This paragraph is merely for example...

It's not a real easy deal with the Mope. You'll need a "donor car" (a wreck or rust bucket with all the hardware). You may be able to get most of it from Year-1 or other restoration supply house.

Unless "original" is REAL important, don't rule out aftermarket transmissions. They're much better than the old stuff.

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
fpruter
AF Newbie

Re: Transmission Swap

What all do I need to replace since I am going from a automatic to a manual? Also, I don't mind having an after market transmission. Where can i buy the parts I need? I want a 4spd so it will be similar original muscle cars unless someone can explain to me the performance gain from installing a 6spd.

Also, I plan to do the work myself because I want to learn.

Thank you,
Francis
fpruter is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical