Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:41 PM   #1
Bad81bu
AF Newbie

Rear Main Leaking. Help a.s.a.p.!!

I just put the 406 back into my malibu and wouldnt ya know it, the rear main leaks, not too bad but i hate oil leaks. Is there any way to replace it or repair it without taking the engine back out of the car????

Thanx
Brett
Bad81bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:20 AM   #2
scott83
AF Newbie

Re: Rear Main Leaking. Help a.s.a.p.!!

you can find a way to poor brake fluid on it.. brake fluid swells up rubber
scott83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Brett,

Are you certain it's the seal? Many oil pan leaks are blamed on main seals...

Was the block align-bored or align-honed? If so, was the "special" seal for the 400 that's BEEN align-bored used?

Yes, the rear seal can be replaced in the car. Get a service manual and it will describe the proceedure in detail. Chevrolet manual would be the best one.

Scott,

Bad idea to use brake fluid inside an engine. While it's true, it will "swell" the seal, it will also swell the o-rings and valve stem seals. It also will eventually evaporate, causing the parts to shrink more than they swelled. Best thing to do is just fix it...

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:03 AM   #4
Bad81bu
AF Newbie

yeah when i rebuilt it last year i had it line honed and had the new seal, my machine shop guy said to add a "shim" to the seal as well so we did and it didnt leak last year, we took it apart this past winter and put a new cam in it, took the rear main cap off and replaced the main seal again and reinstalled the shim, i am thinking that since i dont have a pvc valve (as there is no vaccum port in my tunnel ram) that there is too much pressure in the engine and its causing the rear main to leak, if i put a pvc valve in it will the leak stop? or is it too late? once it leaks, it leaks? not real hip on the brake fluid idea, but thanx for the suggestion. i wouldnt put it directly into the oil but try to spray it on the seal???

Thanx for the tips i really appreciate it.
Brett B.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

If you have no PCV system AND no breathers, then, yes, the thing will continue to leak. A PCV valve helps by evacuating the "nasty" out of the crankcase at low speed/high vacuum. Highly recommended for a street-driven engine.

Best of luck.

Jim
Old 06-11-2007, 08:55 PM   #6
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

You need at least a crankcase breather to prevent crankcase pressure related oil leaks.

A PCV valve is nice as it sucks out all the partially burned hydrocarbons found in the blow- by gases. However a PCV valve on its own rarely has enough flow to prevent crankcase pressure related oil leaks.

If you do not have a PCV valve, you should change the oil more frequently than normal, and be prepared for the possibility of somewhat shorter engine life.

From personal experience, I have found that suck a leak is not necessarily permanent. Once the correct breather has been installed, the leak often stops.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
Bad81bu
AF Newbie

I was thinking of welding a couple bungs into my headers and running braided lines from the valve covers down into the headers, will that exhaust create enough vaccuum to do the job?

Thanx a Million
Brett B.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:41 PM   #8
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Brett,

With full exhaust, it's a very bad idea to install an evac system. Those are for race cars with open headers. Even though those systems have "check valves" in them, they fail quite regularly. We've seen massive crankcase pressure in engines when that happens. Talk about leaks... Niagra F'in Falls!

Your best bet is what Magic Rat and I have explained, about using breathers in conjunction with a PCV valve. Disregard any negative info you may have heard about PCV valves adversely affecting performance. Unless they leak vacuum, they have no effect at all, on overall performance.

Jim
Old 06-15-2007, 03:07 PM   #9
Bad81bu
AF Newbie

ok i wont do the bung thing but my tunnel ram has no vaccuum port and neither do my carbs. where do i hook the PVC to?? sorry im so ignorant. 1st time with this problem.

Brett
Thanx again guys.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical