Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 12:36 AM   #1
solaris=amazing
AF Enthusiast

Talking Engine Cleaning..Funny..

This saturday i'll most likely clean my engine with degreaser and a hose. Today, it was REALLY foggy out, and like 55degrees with some rain. I open the hood (when it wasn't raining), to top off my antifreeze (just had radiator fan replaced) and noticed my engine was soaked.

No joke, SOAKED. It had all bead of water on it-like the mirrors in a bathroom after a steamy shower etc.. On the alt/plug boots/distributor/electric components EVERYWHERE. This kinda took my "fear" of cleaning my engine away. I'm gonna cover the components with aluminum foil-that looks to be the best, but seeing HOW MUCH engines get wet-i was surprised.

No wonder how stuff rusts so easily, damn.

PS, i'm gonna use greased lightning orange degreaser-i've used it on my wheels and it KICKS ASS.
solaris=amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #2
tacoma man.
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to tacoma man.
Re: Engine Cleaning..Funny..

thats moisture thats on your engine, my camaro had sat for a while out during the winter without being started. the first day it had warmed up i raised the hood and mine was like that too. just be sure you cover your distributor up .
Old 02-15-2005, 12:50 PM   #3
stoned_pimp420
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to stoned_pimp420

I know someone that owns a 1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS. anyways they hit a deer and totalled the front end out, they are kinda in a press for cash and have to replace things as they can afford them but they,ve driven their car for a good 6 months without a hood on it. I know it has the 3.1L V6 and I've seen them in the worst damn storms we've had around here yet, and NOTHING has gotten screwed up YET. I personally thought with all those damn underhood sensors and computers and shit, that car would have fried by now for sure but it still runs just the way it did when he bought it. He also told me it makes shit a little easier to work on too.

If you can't be a good example, you can always be a horrible warning!
stoned_pimp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 04:55 PM   #4
Ridenour
GranddAmnit

Send a message via MSN to Ridenour

^ ^ deffinately. I know a kid who drove his Grand Prix around for about 4 months without a hood, and to my knowledge, he never had any problems.

Components underneath the hood are made to take water. The only issues come when doing such things as shooting your belt with the power washer while running, or soaking your air filter with it. However, under normal circumstances, stuff like that will never happen, even with your roof gone.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:14 PM   #5
Markgase2000
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Markgase2000

Condensation occurs wether the hood is on or not. Newer engines can handle these conditions either way cus of the rubber plugs they put in all the sensor clips and relays. Forced water is what "can" get into these rubber sealed wire housings. I had no trouble this summer without a hood on my GA even though it rained alot. Engines that can be prone to letting water in are dohc engines where the plugs sit above the engine. Water can leak through the rubber boot easily into the housing where the plugs sit. This causes rough idles and Check Engine lights to come on cus the plugs ground out. 2 valves , plugs usually sit on the lowwer part of the engine at an angle in the open and do not really have any place for water to rest.
Well thats from my experiences and is IMO.
Markgase2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General