Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 10:59 PM   #1
Spoken_loudly
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Spoken_loudly Send a message via Yahoo to Spoken_loudly
Multiple Neons

I know there is a beginning of a thread on this topic already started, but I am hoping for some slightly mor in-depth ansers. Right now I am looking to hook up 2 15" neons, 2 9" neons, 4 6" neons, and a pair of snake eyes. I would prefer to have all of these running to 1 switch, however, when it comes to wiring, I am completly clueless. From what I have read throughout the rest of the internet, I need a fuse, a direct wire to the battery, and a ground. Now my expanded question is how do I connect all the neons to the switch(assuming it is a 3 prong switch). Also, what size fuse and wire do I need to run to battery. Sorry for my ignorance and thank you in advance for your help.

Rocco
Spoken_loudly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:44 PM   #2
MStout
AF Regular

Re: Multiple Neons

To make it simple...all the lights have a positive and negative, all of the lights negatives must be ground somewhere...that doesnt matter. ALL of the positives on the lights, if your using one switch, have to be run to the BLACK, or NEGATIVE end of the switch's 2 wires, which it should have. The RED, or POSITIVE, on the switch will then run to the power source you are using, which in my case is my CD Receiver power since its already fused. If you dont want to do that, run it to your fusebox or just rig a simple fuse...theres many possibilities. With that many lights though, I would run a wire straight to the battery from the switch. I dont think a 3 prong is needed, and as for the fuse I dont know...but the wire only need to be 18 or something...I wouldnt think it needs to be too big like an audio system would.
MStout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:33 PM   #3
Spoken_loudly
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Spoken_loudly Send a message via Yahoo to Spoken_loudly
Thank you for your response, it is a great help. However, I must now ask another question, lol. Would I be able to run this all to one swithc, the guy at autozone said he would use 2 switches, but then again, he also had me get 10gauge wire. I am gonna hold off on installing until I get some more responses. May just save me a bit of $. I have 8ft of 10gauge, 2 inline fuses, 2 switches, 2 eyeholes(to connect to battery terminal), then a pack of shrink sleaving. Thank you again for the response.

Rocco (A.K.A. wiring illiterate)
Spoken_loudly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:07 AM   #4
MStout
AF Regular

Damn...10 is pretty big, but if he said thats good I would at least do it from the switch to the battery. I think all would be fine from one switch as long as theyre wired safe...there shouldnt be a power loss or any danger so I would worry about it. The fuse is also there so its not like you would lose them all if a surge was to happen. Find a cool easy place for your switch and go for it...you will be happy.
MStout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
dtheman42
AF Newbie

ok i just got 4 neon tubes i already have the swith and plenty of wire i'm just wondering if the switch has to be ground or is it already grounded from the neons?
dtheman42 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General