Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:11 AM   #1
Bcurtis187
AF Newbie

Clear Coat Is Peeling

The clear coat on my 300m is peeling on my roof. I've bought some 1500 and 2000 wet/dry grit sandpaper. I also ordered a can of clear coat from automotivetouchup. I plan on wet sanding the old clear from the entire roof and then spray the new clear on. Is this a cost effective way to get a good result, or should I just take it to the body shop and let them do it for $600.00. Thanks
Bcurtis187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
usedranger
AF Newbie

Re: Clear Coat Is Peeling

What year vehicle? Is it still under a warranty? Have you checked for a Technical service Bulletin to see if this is a problem with your model year? Try the dealer Or the area manager for Chrysler, and see if they would be willing to do it as a "good Customer" gesture.
usedranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Bcurtis187
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedranger View Post
What year vehicle? Is it still under a warranty? Have you checked for a Technical service Bulletin to see if this is a problem with your model year? Try the dealer Or the area manager for Chrysler, and see if they would be willing to do it as a "good Customer" gesture.
The vehicle year is 04 last production year for the 300m. There is no warranty. It's not a problem with this model's year, but the car's color is black and the New Mexico sun is hell on vehicles. The car has since remained under a car cover in the garage, and my wife's buick is now taking the sun abuse. The roof of the car is the only place the clear coat is peeling. Thanks
Old 02-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
usedranger
AF Newbie

I would suggest that you still inquire at the dealer,especially if you bought it new. If not, before you tackle this yourself check at a local VoTech College to see if would qualify as a project. It sounds as if this is a common problem in your area and they may need a car such as yours; I have had engine and trany work done by students and have been satisfied with the quality of the work. Even if they don't take in outside vehicles, an instructor may be able to offer some advice on the best technique and products to use. I would bet that clear coat from the can would not last very long. Good luck!
Old 02-27-2009, 05:30 AM   #5
Bcurtis187
AF Newbie

Quote:
I would suggest that you still inquire at the dealer,especially if you bought it new. If not, before you tackle this yourself check at a local VoTech College to see if would qualify as a project. It sounds as if this is a common problem in your area and they may need a car such as yours; I have had engine and trany work done by students and have been satisfied with the quality of the work. Even if they don't take in outside vehicles, an instructor may be able to offer some advice on the best technique and products to use. I would bet that clear coat from the can would not last very long. Good luck!

I took the car to the dealer and they said they could do it. (new base and clear+ prep) $1700. There's no way I'd pay that for just the roof of the car. The high school here would do it as a project, however, they would also want to dismantle other parts of the car and They want me to sign an agreement that they would not be responsible for damages etc occurred. If I didn't care about the car at all, I'd do that as a cheap option and call it a day. The body shop quoted me $600 for labor, prep and clear and base if I supply the paint. I decided to sand the roof myself with 2000 grit paper. Right now it looks alittle dull but way better than it did with the clear peeling. I'm still debating on whether or not to try it myself or let the body shop do it. Thanks for all the info!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
usedranger
AF Newbie

Gets pricey. Try the Auto Collision Network forum. (Its at the top of the forum list) I think the folks in that group may be able to help you out.
Do you have a compressor that is big enough to handle a spray unit? I think you may get a better result using one if you decide to do it your self than you would with a small spray can. I am by no means an expert having only done light body and paint work; few fenders and doors here and there. One thing I can say is that it looks easier than it is. Takes "the touch" to get it right. My first few trys with clear coat I kept getting bumps. I was told I was too far back from the surface and it was drying a little before it hit the surface of the car. Practice makes perfect. Anyway try that other forum. The moderator, LearnAutobody, seems to be interested in folks willing to learn.
Good luck.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
Bcurtis187
AF Newbie

Quote:
Gets pricey. Try the Auto Collision Network forum. (Its at the top of the forum list) I think the folks in that group may be able to help you out.
Do you have a compressor that is big enough to handle a spray unit? I think you may get a better result using one if you decide to do it your self than you would with a small spray can. I am by no means an expert having only done light body and paint work; few fenders and doors here and there. One thing I can say is that it looks easier than it is. Takes "the touch" to get it right. My first few trys with clear coat I kept getting bumps. I was told I was too far back from the surface and it was drying a little before it hit the surface of the car. Practice makes perfect. Anyway try that other forum. The moderator, LearnAutobody, seems to be interested in folks willing to learn.
Good luck.
Not sure if my compressor could handle it 5hp 26 gallong 10 cfm. If that will run a gun then I might do that. I'll try the forum, maybe I can get a guide or results of do-it-yourself. Either way you've been very helpful. I probably will try it myself considering I can't make it any worse and if it doesn't come out, I'd have to have it re-done anyway. Thanks a bunch for all your help I really do appreciate it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General