Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lotus | Proton > Esprit
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 06:45 PM   #1
bappoo
AF Newbie

Starting and backfire problem

I have recently purchased a 90 Esprit Turbo and she tends to eb difficult to start in the morning, taking about 7 attempts till the engine fires. I am not applying any throttle or choke. Also after running for a while (20 mins) then leaving for a few mins before switching off the engine, when finally switching off - a couple of seconds later there is a pop from the back, which I guess is a backfire. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how to overcome these problems, or is this normal behaviour?

Many thanks

Paul
bappoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 03:44 AM   #2
maigret
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Hard starting

Is often an ignition issue.

In the first instance try a new set of spark plugs and see how that goes.

Also check condition of other ignition components such as cap, rotor and leads.
maigret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 06:25 AM   #3
bappoo
AF Newbie

Re: Starting and backfire problem

Thanks, will give that a shot, but does this refer to just the starting problem or the backfire too?

Cheers

Paul
Old 06-28-2004, 02:46 AM   #4
maigret
AF Newbie

It may or may not fix the backfire problem.
Once you have the ignition sorted and it still happens then you may need to get the fuel system sorted.
The carbs should be rekitted every 5 years. (risk of fire if this is not done as the accelerator pump leaks if it perishes)

Anyway, try the plugs first and see how you go.

Post some photos of your car
Old 06-28-2004, 02:24 PM   #5
bappoo
AF Newbie

Re: Starting and backfire problem

Hi Maigret, thanks again, I just posted some pics to the gallery, you can find them by searching for my user name "bappoo".
Old 08-22-2004, 05:42 PM   #6
TOKid
AF Regular

Exclamation Re: Starting and backfire problem

I have a 1977 Lotus Esprit S1 and the starting problem seems to be part of the Lotus Esprit problems. I apply full choke until I can take over with the gas pedal, keeping the RPMs up until the temp gauge starts to move. The back firing I am currently having problems with. The vehicle was has not been driven much for the past 16-18 years. I am having the stromberg Carbs rebuilt tomorrow with new carb rebuild kits. I have a Lotus dealer in Toronto doing it for me. I hope that this helps.
TOKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 01:20 AM   #7
maigret
AF Newbie

Smooth running

My saloon has been off the road for a few weeks and I have been using the Esprit every day. Even picked up coal for the fire from the coal merchant. They were a bit stunned when I backed up to loading bay. lol

The Esprit starts first or second turn of the key and I can put the choke in as soon as I have moved off. It's winter here, ie frosts most mornings and even got a snow flurry yesterday. My car has the delorttos. I have had cars with Strombergs, these have a rubber diaphram that can perish and seriously affect operation (they operate on vacuum) Easy carbs to fix for those confident to tackle minor car repairs. But you do need tuning gear to get them set up right.(mixture and balance)

So your Esprit should start easily and run smoothly. If not then get it checked. Plugs should be changed annually ~$10 cap and rotor (check metal terminals on cap for burning and that the carbon pin is OK) If it is an early model check the points. If these are burnt replace points and condensor. An electronic ignition kit is a good idea.

Graeme

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lotus | Proton > Esprit