Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
Cobra4B
AF Enthusiast

Well I found the wheel speed sensor... it's broken and w/o trigger. Pics of yours?

I read the PI dash manual last night and learned a ton... seems like a nice system that's easy to use. I like that I can get the lap timer module and tie it right in.

Anyway... so it turns out the wire laped "wheel speed" on my left frame rail is indeed the wheel speed sensor, duh. I tracked the wire and found the end of it coiled around the frame rail and the sensor tucked under the wire to "tie it off".

"Wheel Speed"

Wire wrapped around frame rail

End of sensor... looks like a piece is broken off

I read through the setup and calibration of the sensor and can't find the trigger anywhere on my car. I'm wondering if the hub was replaced or something was fixed and it was simply never re-installed. When I first drove the car around the block with my dad it was registering a speed, but it must have been a false reading. The speed doesn't work now.

So... could anyone take some detailed pics of how the sensor is mounted and how the trigger is mounted?

Thanks,
Brian
Cobra4B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
Gatorac
AF Regular

Re: Well I found the wheel speed sensor... it's broken and w/o trigger. Pics of yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I read the PI dash manual last night and learned a ton... seems like a nice system that's easy to use. I like that I can get the lap timer module and tie it right in.

Anyway... so it turns out the wire laped "wheel speed" on my left frame rail is indeed the wheel speed sensor, duh. I tracked the wire and found the end of it coiled around the frame rail and the sensor tucked under the wire to "tie it off".

"Wheel Speed"

Wire wrapped around frame rail

End of sensor... looks like a piece is broken off

I read through the setup and calibration of the sensor and can't find the trigger anywhere on my car. I'm wondering if the hub was replaced or something was fixed and it was simply never re-installed. When I first drove the car around the block with my dad it was registering a speed, but it must have been a false reading. The speed doesn't work now.

So... could anyone take some detailed pics of how the sensor is mounted and how the trigger is mounted?

Thanks,
Brian
I'll get some pics for you. My car is apart right now anyways.

Jim Pomroy

96 Miata track car.
2012 Camaro SS.
Backdraft Racing Cobra #930
92 Miata "LemonDrop"
Saturn V Rocket Miata Crapcan #81
99 Miata daily driver.
Gatorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
Cobra4B
AF Enthusiast

Re: Well I found the wheel speed sensor... it's broken and w/o trigger. Pics of yours?

Thank you Jim.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
94_panoz_#7
AF Newbie

The wheel speed sensors were problematic over the years. The mounting was changed a couple of times, and I'm not sure what the schools finally ended up doing. I'm guessing thier solution was to zip tie them to the chassis like mentioned above since they really never utilized the Pi dashes like they originally intended.

Basic problem - there is a fine line between the sensor being close enough to pick up the signal as the rotor bolt heads go by and so close that the bolt snags the end of the sensor! If it were my car I'd be checking into a way to read the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) which is Ford speedo drive in the tranny.
94_panoz_#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
Cobra4B
AF Enthusiast

^ So the rotor bolt heads are the trigger?
Old 01-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
94_panoz_#7
AF Newbie

Yes
94_panoz_#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
Cobra4B
AF Enthusiast

^ Interesting... I'll have to figure how that works. The PI manual shows installing the trigger, but doesn't state what/how it all works.
#4 Z06 - NASA ST3/TT3

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS