Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ferrari > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 06:34 PM   #1
TexasF355F1
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TexasF355F1
Paddle shifting american cars?

Ok, i was just in the Mustang forum and read that the new mustang is going to have an option for paddle style shifting. My stomach just gets tied in knots thinking that good ol' italian(ferrari) and german(m3) engineering has now moved on to the assembly line at Ford. Just knowing that an american car offers this option upsets me, there is no way the engineering will be done as well as BMW or Ferrari. In fact I expect fords shifters to just fall right off the steering column...hahaha. This is a pretty pointless post but I had to let my anger off some where. Does anyone else agree that this makes the whole appeal of the F1 style shifters lose its value?
TexasF355F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 06:39 PM   #2
SuPeRcAr_MaN
AF Fanatic

I agree 100%. Ford would be the last company I would want bringing this great feature to American cars. They will mess it up in someway, but get an A for effort... LOL. :silly2:
SuPeRcAr_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 07:40 PM   #3
YellowMaranello
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to YellowMaranello
Sure, they have paddle shifters, but that doesn't nessicarily mean that they are F1 based like Ferrari's.
YellowMaranello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 09:04 PM   #4
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Quote:
Originally posted by YellowMaranello
Sure, they have paddle shifters, but that doesn't nessicarily mean that they are F1 based like Ferrari's.

well the mr2 has a sequentia sfifter but it takes like a sec to sfift. Most people can do muche better than that with a clutch.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 02:48 PM   #5
YellowMaranello
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to YellowMaranello
Quote:
Originally posted by Neutrino

well the mr2 has a sequentia sfifter but it takes like a sec to sfift. Most people can do muche better than that with a clutch.
Exactly. Anyone that can shift faster then Ferrari's sequential tranny with a clutch can't be human.
YellowMaranello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 10:20 AM   #6
Luetic
AF Newbie

You should probably not let it get to you. In 5 years paddle shifters will be a common as a sun roof. Every car line will offer them. It's not like Ferrari has exclusive rights to hire engineers. Not a big ford fan, but they'll just throw money at it until they get it right. And they do have tons more money to throw away than Ferrari. So, it doesn't upset me, it will just be less cool when your neighbor hood Camry has it.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:58 AM   #7
SilverLotus340R
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SilverLotus340R
the mr2 sequential system doesnt take a second to shift...it takes about a 1/2 a second..and if ure really good you can switch on the fly and the car wont stall or nething..so technically its alot faster than u precieve it to be..
Who’d dare build a car without doors or side windows or a hood? Only Lotus. And who’d dare drive one? You would. The 340R is the sports car for people who live to drive and want the whole experience as raw and as pure as it comes.
SilverLotus340R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 12:08 AM   #8
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverLotus340R
the mr2 sequential system doesnt take a second to shift...it takes about a 1/2 a second..and if ure really good you can switch on the fly and the car wont stall or nething..so technically its alot faster than u precieve it to be..
i never tryed it myself so i don't know that personally but every article about it said that its quite slow and crappy. They just gave points for trying.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 01:15 AM   #9
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche
Apparenlty Schumie's car can make a shift in 0.060 seconds I hope I got the decimal right, it makes a difference.

Also, you must keep in mind that Magneti Marelli, not ferrari makes these gearboxes, Getrag makes BMW's I believe, Xtrac makes WRC transmission which I'm also sure are sequential and damn quick.

Luetic is right, this stuff is going to be avaliable in 5 years to everyone the new technology also gets implemented (A good 90% of the time) in the company's top models, and it trickles down after that.

It's not a quesiion of wether or not it will be available , it's SHOULD they people be allowed to drive cars like that. People are as it is, we don't need them going faster, faster.

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 11:50 AM   #10
TexasF355F1
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TexasF355F1
Yes Leutic and Porsche, yall are right. It doesn't bother me all that much, I'm just worried about other companies giving the system a bad name by screwing it up. Yea it will be on everything in 5 years, sh*t, theyll probably offer it on a Chevy Silverado. Porsche, I agree again their are too many damn drivers around, so lets tighten up license laws and keep all the crappy drivers who endanger all of us good drivers off the road.
TexasF355F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 04:59 PM   #11
Tiger Racing
AF Newbie

Re: Paddle shifting american cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasF355F1
Ok, i was just in the Mustang forum and read that the new mustang is going to have an option for paddle style shifting.
Greetings! What thread did you read that in? I can guarantee you that the 2005 Mustang will NOT have a paddle shifter.

Just knowing that an american car offers this option upsets me, there is no way the engineering will be done as well as BMW or Ferrari.

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but the same guys who engineered the paddle shifter in the 355 and current Ferraris are the guys who did the work on the Ford (Aston Martin) paddle shifter. And the Aston has fourth generation technology. It is miles above and beyond what is in the Ferraris.

In fact I expect fords shifters to just fall right off the steering column...hahaha.

Having battled with the Ferrari shifter for almost two yrs and now having enjoyed the shifter that Ford has placed into my Mustang race car, I can tell you that you're laughing up the wrong tree. I can understand your prejudice, but it is ill placed here.

Does anyone else agree that this makes the whole appeal of the F1 style shifters lose its value?

Have you driven a Ferrari with a paddle shifter? Do you only care about it's ooh-aah value rather than its actual drivability? Again, I can fully understand the yearning for Ferrari mystique, but when you are judging specific functions and features, then it comes down to what works.

C.
Tiger Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 06:00 PM   #12
Tiger Racing
AF Newbie

I thought I would clear a few things up...

The F1 technology that first appeared in a street car in the form of the Ferrari 355 F1 has been further refined and used in various other cars, including the Aston Martin Vanquish. Ford owns Aston. Any paddle shifters that you see from Ford will come from that program.

The MR2 shifts in less than a full second, but I would bet money that it is slower than 250 milliseconds, which is how quickly my Mustang shifts. However quick that might sound, I have been told by every profesisonal race car driver that has been in it that they can power shift faster than that with a standard transmission. The paddler shifters are quick, but the street versions are still slower than you think.

There is something else to consider when you hear numbers thrown around claiming shift speeds. For instance, when BMW makes their claims about how quickly their paddle shifter works, they are talking about only the time it takes for the actuator to move from gear to gear. They do not take into account the full amount of time that it takes from when you request the shift to full actuation. That includes throttle blip, clutch opening and closing, etc. When all that is taken into account, the BMW is slower than the Aston which means that it's slower than my Mustang.

Anyone that can shift faster then Ferrari's sequential tranny with a clutch can't be human.

I would agree that no one can shift manually faster than Ferrari's F1 cars, but not only can a pro shift faster than the street Ferrari shifter, but I can shift faster in my Mustang. BTW, the Ferrari doesn't actually have a sequential gearbox, it is merely actuated sequentially.

C.
Tiger Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 06:13 AM   #13
whatifwhat
AF Newbie

ok people, i hate threads like this, not only is half of the information incorrect, it's also twisted and distorted beyond believe, then throw in your average ferrari hater and people don't know what to believe.

i have just a few points to make,
1. Ferrari are not idiots, when they put paddle shifters on their cars they do it for a good reason, They ARE Faster!. However i am not saying that if you would put two identical drivers in two ferraris, one in a paddle shifter and the other in a manual that whoever is in the paddle shifter will always win a race, this is because give or take a few fractions of a second here and there, a ferrari road car will shift gears about the same as a pro driver. Any advantage gained by a paddle shift over the coarse of a full lap could be thrown away by a small mistake in just one corner!. So for a professional driver, paddle shifts in ferrari cars may not be a big deal, however i myself are an amateur driver and i know that if i step into a ferrari with paddle shifts i will be able to change gears like a pro EVERY TIME!!. plus in a paddle shifter you can keep your hands on the steering wheel saving more time as you don't have to fiddle with a stick whilst trying to break into a tricky corner.

2. The paddle shifters in the ferrari 575 or enzo and later cars do change faster than even a pro driver, this has been proved by pro test drivers - fact.

3. I don't know why you're getting upset about paddle shifters appearing on run of the mill (or crap) cars, it doesn't matter, the chances are there crap and are just for show. Ferrari done it first, and if you look in the history books ferrari where the first to do quite alot of things!. I don't know too much about mustangs or cammys as we don't get too many of them around here, but over here we get paddle shifters on a whole host of cars, for instance for somewhere between £10,000 - £15,000 you can buy a citroen saxo vtr and get a paddle shift as standard, but i know it's knowwhere near as good as ferrari cars. It always makes make me laugh when i see some boy racer in his souped up saxo with a stupid body kit trying to impress a bunch of idiots on a friday night by tearing his tyres to shreads thinking he's micheal schumacher, just because some idiot at citroen put a crappy "automatic" gearbox with a couple of pieces of plastic on the steering wheel and called it a paddle shift!!. So don't worry about Ford or anybody elses execs trying to make a little more profit by pretending to have F1 technology in their cars. "immatation is the best form of flattery"

4. Don't go around comparing anything to an F1 gearbox, nothing comes close not even an enzo, an F1 gearbox costs more than most sportscars and only has to last 200 miles!

5. For most people who buy a ferrari it's simple a matter of taste which gearbox they choose. Most of the old guys prefer the manual which is still one of the best gearboxs in the world.
whatifwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 07:29 AM   #14
srfyak2001
AF Newbie

tiger racing is this carol
srfyak2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 06:31 PM   #15
Tiger Racing
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Paddle shifting american cars?

Quote: