Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 12:27 PM   #1
335intheapple
AF Newbie

335i coupe suspension question/concern

I'm loving my 335i coupe (my first Bimmer!), but have a slight concern about the rear suspension. Although the car steers beautifully, consistent with BMW legend, it's surprisingly skittish/nervous in the rear end. When cornering/banking at decent speed under normal highway driving conditions, and particularly when accelerating slightly through a long curve -- typically in 4th gear -if the car hits even a small bump (the Princess and the Pea comes to mind) the rear end seems to hop up momentarily, making me fear the car is going to swing around on me, to catastrophic effect. (If I'm banking left when this occurs, it feels like the rear lifts for an instant and the back half of the car swings right before landing. The opposite is true if I'm banking left.) To be clear, this not a tire spin issue -- indeed, I've yet to get the tires to spin, so amazing is the traction -- but a feeling of springing that's too taut. The car has the Performance Pkg., which I assume, but don't know for sure, is part of the reason for this. Was just wondering if others have experienced this with their Bimmers or otherwise have any idea what might be going on. Is this basically a matter of the driver (yours truly) needing to get used to, and make adjustments for, BMW's performance suspension? Is the bouncing effect likely to subside as the car gets some more miles on it? (I'm only up to 1,500 now.) Is there any way to adjust/detune the suspension if I decide I don't want to deal with it? (I'm not there yet, just wondering.) Or does it sound like something's wrong with my baby?

Thanks for your ideas and thoughts. I look forward to getting to know folks here.
Best,
Allen D.
New York City
335intheapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
CassiesMan
AF Vendor

Send a message via AIM to CassiesMan
Re: 335i coupe suspension question/concern

If its new, its under warrenty. Take it to your dealership and have them check it out. I've driven plenty of E92s, both 328i and 335i, and never had this problem in any of the ones I've driven.

Oh, and to break traction, turn off your DTC/DSC, and floor it. There ya go. However...I've broken out the rear even with it on.
CassiesMan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series