Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics Discuss different body kits, body work in general, and all types of exterior modifications.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 05:56 PM   #16
Speedsteve
AF Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscuro
*cough* Phsyics.

For most any wing/spoiler you see on the street, I can pretty much guarantee it doesn't do jackshit other than add weight to the vehicle.
However, if the wing/spoiler is actually tuned to produce downforce, then yes, it is useful on a front wheel drive car as well. Why? Because typically, most FF cars have a front-rear balance ratio somewhere between 60/40 and 52/48. Adding downforce to the rear end can help balance the car, and keep the rear end a little more planted. However, this is best used in conjunction with a front spoiler as well, which are usually added to the front end above a splitter.
Need verification of this? Watch BTCC Touring cars, all of those vehicles run wings and spoilers, be they FF, or FR.

Remember though, if you are thinking of buying a wing for your car from the aftermarket, it probably isn't going to do anything more than add weight, not downforce.
CORRECT!

Speedsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:54 PM   #17
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers/ "Wings" Pointless on FWD Cars?

spoilers have no place on front wheel drive cars, there's a dodge neon close to my school and it is yellow with the stock black iron rims and tires, a crappy black vinyl, and a massive rear wing, one day i'm gonna just get a crowbar and rip it off, if i cant rip it off then ill rip the trunk off. or i'll bash it with a sledgehammer untill it comes off. either way his car's getting f***'d up. i really detest when people do that, it's ugly, useless, takes no skill to do, removes performance, and looks stupid. ricers who ruin their cars like that suck and should be hurt (either physically or mentally, like bashing their car) if this is inapropriate please dont ban me, i'm just in a bad mood and will delete this post if need be.
beef_bourito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:00 PM   #18
RickwithaTbird
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RickwithaTbird Send a message via MSN to RickwithaTbird Send a message via Yahoo to RickwithaTbird

I'm not sure if your opinion is worthy of actual bannage, but it is worthy of emberassment. If I was you I'd delete it for shames sake. You're obviously young. Let people do all the stupid shit they want to do to their cars because one day they'll realize how dumb it is, and all those years of stupidity will come crashing down all at once.

Stupid wings on a neon is not illegal. Vandalizing other people's cars is. In that case you would be the stupid one. In my opinion, messing with other peoples things just because you dont like it, is stupider than putting stupid things on your own car because you do like it. You just need a few more years of growing up, you'll get the hang of it.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:29 PM   #19
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

spoilers DO WORK ON FWD CARS!
tune in to speed TV once in a while. see all those integras, ect. with aluminum spoilers? when you race, you dont do ANYTHING unless it has a purpose

i would go into more detail but oscuro and reed summed it up nicely

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:09 AM   #20
goatnipples2002
AF Regular

From what I have observed a wing/spoiler will increase downforce on any vehicle no matter if it's FWD or RWD. A wing WILL add stability when driving at highway speeds and they greatly increase the downforce for cornering. The faster you drive the more beneficial a wing/spoiler will be to you. The placement and height of the wing/spoiler in regards to the shape of your vehicle will also effect its ability to create downforce. Most aerodynamic customizing will help at speeds of about 50-70mph. So no matter if you autocross, drag race or drive like an idiot (my fav) as long as you reach 50-70mph your downforce mods will help. Nobody wants their car to get squirrely when their doing 120mph, so a wing helps that. IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO THE HEIGHT OF tHE WING AND THE SHAPE OF YOUR VEHICLE.

NEED MORE CLICK HERE!

http://www.aprperformance.com/techarticles_whatdiff.php

http://www.aprperformance.com/techar..._whichcomp.php
Old 07-14-2005, 09:08 AM   #21
Steel
AF Fanatic

Spoilers are great though. Redcued the Cd of the FC RX-7 from .31 to .29

Now my lumina has a spoiler on back, and i'm glad it's there. I can use all the gas mileage i can get..
Old 07-25-2005, 12:31 AM   #22
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

Ok, time to piss all of you off that hate spoilers on FWD cars. I have such a thing going on. It also has strips and neon lights and spinners. Not pissed off yet? All this is on a 91 Toyota Corolla. Them Honda Civics are nice I suppose, but atleast I stand out.
HeWhoKillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 12:36 PM   #23
RickwithaTbird
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RickwithaTbird Send a message via MSN to RickwithaTbird Send a message via Yahoo to RickwithaTbird
Re: Spoilers/

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWhoKillz
Ok, time to piss all of you off that hate spoilers on FWD cars. I have such a thing going on. It also has strips and neon lights and spinners. Not pissed off yet? All this is on a 91 Toyota Corolla. Them Honda Civics are nice I suppose, but atleast I stand out.
hahahaha..

yes u do. indeed, you do.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:58 PM   #24
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

The only problem is finding parts for a car like that.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:07 AM   #25
RickwithaTbird
AF Enthusiast

thats because those cars shouldn't be modded. they arent cool.

I saw some 87 sentra yesterday with a custom fitted body kit that had some wal mart fog lights flush mounted in it, and it was all painted BRIGHT orange... I'm pretty sure that nobody was impressed. it looked like an 87 sentra that had a different cars body kkit squeezed onto it and a flat orange paint job, with a T3 spoiler on it. Wait... thats what it was... hmm... strange... I wonder why it didnt look like a sports car.

seriously dude... save that money for a new car. a car that people will look at to admire instead of laugh at. Have some pride in yourself.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:47 PM   #26
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

Re: Re: Spoilers/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickwithaTbird
thats because those cars shouldn't be modded. they arent cool.

I saw some 87 sentra yesterday with a custom fitted body kit that had some wal mart fog lights flush mounted in it, and it was all painted BRIGHT orange... I'm pretty sure that nobody was impressed. it looked like an 87 sentra that had a different cars body kkit squeezed onto it and a flat orange paint job, with a T3 spoiler on it. Wait... thats what it was... hmm... strange... I wonder why it didnt look like a sports car.

seriously dude... save that money for a new car. a car that people will look at to admire instead of laugh at. Have some pride in yourself.

Well, here is the funny thing. I know a number of friends and other people that actually think its looks kind of neat. And the way I see it, any car can be made to be "cool"....some just take a hell of a lot more money then others. For Civics to be pimped out like they always are now, someone had to start it, if not, they wouldn't have been "cool" either.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:36 PM   #27
RickwithaTbird
AF Enthusiast

if you could seriously pimp out an 87 corolla, rappers would do it. But you can't. The fact is, it's not a cool car. To make it cool you would need to fabricate a whole new interior, reupholster it, fabricate new fenders, mold some different headlights in it...... basically take everything "corolla" about it.... off. Are you seriously telling me that corolla is your dream car? Theres no other car under 10000$ you would rather have? A car with potential? If you believe your friends when they say it's "neat", then I guess that's all that matters. I personally think you are too lazy to save your money for a car you would rather have. So you just dump any spare cash into gey accessories for it, that way you can say you pimped the shit out of it. But I bet everything about the car is stock besides things you screwed on. If you had spent months re doing the interior, and thousands on a paint job and custom body work, and shit like that, then I'd be impressed just by the sheer work. But spinner hubcaps, neons, bolt on spoilers, and windshield wiper nozzles aren't impressive. That's a list of junk you can buy at wal mart and put on any car with no skill. Sure it may be fun, but its goofy. Especially on that car. I know you can save up money for something that you would prefer, and then actually have a nice car. Not just a car which requires a miracle to make look good. You've made the choice to try and make people like your P.O.S. instead of getting a car people will already like, and then make it nicer. You cant be a baller in a corolla. I dont care what you do to it, because when you're at a stop light thinkin you're the shit with your super pimped out 87 corolla, and a 2006 E55 AMG Benz pulls up next to you, you'll realize that your car sucks. And the guy in the benz, and his hot ass bitch will know it too.

wings arent pointless on FWD cars, but they sure look dumb.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:04 AM   #28
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

Alright, you have made yourself clear about if it WAS an 87 corolla, but the fact is is that its a 91, which is actually even less sporty than the 87. And acutally, I have done a bit of interior work. I got new gauges with design on them and new seats. True its not much work, but thats because I just started really.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:47 AM   #29
RickwithaTbird
AF Enthusiast

well whenever you finish, post pics. I can respect hard work, no matter what my opinion of the car is.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:23 AM   #30
Reed
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Reed

I think there are clearly 3 different mentalities here. One hates wings cause all they know is drag racing. Another likes wings cause they like sports car racing. The last likes wings cause they dont care about going fast but they think it looks good. I cant bring myself to respect that last view point all that much because i believe that a car is meant to be driven and almost all the energy that is put into the car should be focused towards that end. Now i cant say that i havent seen a few show cars that i liked, but for me to think a car looks good it has to look fast, e.x. Widebodys with wide wheels (no chrome), usefull aerodynamics, big diameter exhaust not just a big tip, turbos pushing high boost instead of turbos pushing 5psi just to say you have a turbo. Of course not eveyone (including myself) can afford all of this but why half ass things on a small budget just so your car will look cheesy?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics