Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
General news, articles, other.
View Poll Results: which would you do.
Buy the Jspec 3 33.33%
Buy the US spec and other crap 6 66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-17-2001, 08:06 PM   #1
kris
Off playing with fire.

What would you do?

Ok, since these polls here helped me on another decision, I am going to try it again. I originally was going to purchase a Jspec motor. I just recently came across another person selling some G20 parts. I can buy the Jspec motor with 32k, and pay around $750 after shipping. Or, I can buy a US spec motor with 38k, wire harness, ECU, axles, instrument cluster, and the front leather seats. I would not ship these, as they are close enough to make a road trip and go get them. They are all complete, except the US spec has a clutch, and no starter, and the Jspec is complete, except for the clutch. What would you all do?

kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 09:19 PM   #2
primera_gte
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to primera_gte
engines

hmm, you have to be careful about jdm engines. i've heard of too many horror stories of spun bearings, etc. you better be a damn good mechanic because you will end up spending a lot of time on the engine install and upkeep.

i guess it all depends on what you want to accomplish with the engine and what kind of miles you want to get out of it.

bitching fast track car?
reliable daily driver?
primera_gte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 10:13 PM   #3
kris
Off playing with fire.

well...I want a fast daily driver. Not a full blown racer. I have my eyes set on a fast daily driver, that is all motor. I dont want turbo, because everyone can make a car go fast with a turbo. I still have kids so I need my car to haul them in, so I dont want to strip the shit out. When I go to the track I will not pull seats and shit out either. Catch my idea? Im thinking more towards the US and stuff.
Old 05-17-2001, 10:17 PM   #4
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
I'll go with the J-spec. Just more bang for your buck basically. Just get the installation done by a professional and you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 05-17-2001, 11:06 PM   #5
kris
Off playing with fire.

10 horsies more? its not really that much more. I dont want to pay someone to touch my car, I am doing it myself. This is my first nissan swap, but I did a B series swap in my civic myself, so I think I can handle it. Us poor people cant afford a 700 dollar motor, and another 400 dollars to have it installed. At least thats the price out here.
Old 05-18-2001, 12:47 AM   #6
i_rebel
Banned

Send a message via AIM to i_rebel
KB . . . .

Are we talking about two SR20DE motors?

One from Japan, and one that is already here?

You're question isn't making much sense to me . . .

First: You already have a US spec SR20DE, what in the world would make you want to swap your engine for another exactly like it?

LOL . . . even if you did want to do such a thing, what the hell do you need the wiring harness for? There's one connected to your car right now (????) . . . ditto for the ECU, axles, clutch and instrument cluster . . . (????) maybe the leather seats might be appealing, if you don't already have leather in your "G" . . .

I'd say that there is no decision to make . . . the only real choice is whether or not you purchase the JDM motor . . . other thatn that you may as well be taking out your engine and putting it right back in . . . (???????)

A J-spec motor for $750 after shipping . . . wow, that's amazing! Go for it . . . that's an "unbelievable" bargain . . .
i_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 01:44 AM   #7
kris
Off playing with fire.

Are we talking about two SR20DE motors?

yes, 2, duh

one from Japan, and one that is already here?

well, no, both are in the states, one in PA, one in CA but yes, one was made for US soil, the other not.

You're question isn't making much sense to me . . .

well, look like i explained it for others to realize

First: You already have a US spec SR20DE, what in the world would make you want to swap your engine for another exactly like it?

140k miles compared to 38k miles. make sense? a 140k motor is going to be tired, and have problems, a 38k motor, will be a lot stronger

LOL . . . even if you did want to do such a thing, what the hell do you need the wiring harness for? There's one connected to your car right now (????)

smart guy, but...lets say you dont have a Sr20de motor in your car, and you want to put one in? you going to hard wire the whole thing?

. . . ditto for the ECU, axles, clutch and instrument cluster . . . (????)

ECU, can be sold for $100 or so. Also, when I send mine to JWT, what will run my car? Axles, 140k to 38k? you decide. I just saw a instrument cluster with 78k miles on it get fought over on ebay, ending price, $95

maybe the leather seats might be appealing,if you don't already have leather in your "G" . . .

well, I have leather in my car now, and I am sorry to say, the previous owner did not take the best care of the car. Again, these seats have 140k miles worth of wear, and a tear. So, since these were same color and all, I figured sweet, I dont need to get them re-done

I'd say that there is no decision to make . . . the only real choice is whether or not you purchase the JDM motor . . . other thatn that you may as well be taking out your engine and putting it right back in . . . (???????)

what a stupid answer, well no shit.. I will be taking it out, and putting another back in anayways. The Jspec is not all that different. It has 10:1 compression, while the US spec is 9:5:1, something like that. They have a better exhaust manifold, well some good that does when I throw them away for a new header. I have also heard they have a little better set of cams, again, what good are they when I replace them?

A J-spec motor for $750 after shipping . . . wow, that's amazing! Go for it . . . that's an "unbelievable" bargain . . .

I have seen cheaper, but with higher mileage
Old 05-18-2001, 01:48 AM   #8
kris
Off playing with fire.

Unhappy

Now dont get me wrong, I appreciate the responses, because I am still torn on what to do. Each one has its advantages/disadvantages I just would like to see other peoples views, and opinions.
Old 05-18-2001, 08:56 AM   #9
Nismoboy1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Nismoboy1
well...let's see...the jdm motor you still gotta ship it and get a clutch, and you said the US is only missing the starter...i'd say get the US version motor, drive where ever it is you need to drive to, to get it, buy a new starter from the dealership and be done with it. Plus you can still keep your old block for a back-up motor, maybe even rebuild/upgrade that block into a full blown race motor or something, you know pistons/rods/valves/headwork/etc. or just keep it for back-up parts, since you don't plan on making a full-blown racer anyways. Just my thoughts.

For Sale: 18" Gold Axis Se7en's and Eibach Pro-kits also for a G20 P11. Check the Infiniti G20 Classifieds Here

***My G20 - Click Here***
Nismoboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 08:59 PM   #10
ronniesimpson
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ronniesimpson
a jdm motor would be very cool, although you might want to look into an SR20DE-T. i have read about those motors putting out over 500 horsepower reliably for street use. if this engine is capable of such high horsepower, i would think it would be able to handle 250hp or more pretty easily.

just my opinion,
but whichever way you decide to go, good luck, and i hope you acheive everything that you want to with the car
Old 05-18-2001, 10:11 PM   #11
i_rebel
Banned

Send a message via AIM to i_rebel
KB,

The point I'm trying to make is this . . . you're puzzled over a decision, when youshould have made up your mind already.

You want some power in your car . . . why play around with another motor like the one you have now? Go J-SPEC!!! Quickly.

The items that you're getting with the US spec motor are of no importance for your interests right now. In other words fuck a harness and ECU . . . cause If you are re-installing a US spec motor your ECU and wiring harness will do just fine . . .

Get the J-Spec and be done with it. Why have Steak-um why london broil is available to you?

You may not have liked my perspective, or the way I worded them . . . it happens . . .
i_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > General