Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 02:43 PM   #16
def
AF Newbie

I've got the same problem, same wheel, even the same car. My solution is going to be replacing the wheels with 5 spoke 17" wheels. Of course thats after my tires wear down a little bit more.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 05:50 PM   #17
OldSchoolHatch
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to OldSchoolHatch
I have similar rims on my car and I waxed them because I wanted to keep brake dust off. Seems like it helped, but very little. It was a real pain trying to cover all the inside spots, so I don't want to do it all the time. How often should I wax them?

I scraped one of them on the curb a while ago and the scuff turned blackish and won't clean off. I probably should've waxed over the scuff right away to sort of fill it, right? Is there any way to clean the scuff now to be closer to the original finish on the rims?
OldSchoolHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 06:34 PM   #18
slytsi4
AF Newbie

I have tried just about every wheel cleaner out there and have found Gliptone wheel cleaner the best. It was expensive but worth it. My wheels get noticably dirty after 15 miles sometimes. I have stopped waxing the wheels as it was time consuming and did not make much difference...

I went to the dealer to get the recall done and they said I need new brakes soon. The car has almost 18k miles on it, why do i need brakes already.. the answer is because these brakes pads suck... that is my conclusion.
slytsi4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 02:20 PM   #19
Green328i
AF Newbie

Definitely agree on the Zaino. Clean the wheels completely and then Z1 and Z2 them. The dust practically drops right off with a heavy spraying.

www.zainobros.com
Green328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 06:57 PM   #20
blu 330i
AF Newbie

Cool

I have 17 inch rims and i use a small brush that i brouth from auto-zone that cost about 6 to 7 dollars. and get the wheel tire cleaner that works
it's by eagle-one in a black bottle. wax is also good to
my rims are much harder to clean then yours try that out

Old 08-26-2002, 01:39 PM   #21
vernong
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to vernong Send a message via Yahoo to vernong
brake dust

yes thats one of the things that you have to put up with being a bmw owner but its well worth it .wal mart sells a detail brush for wheels that cost under $3 and it works great it also gets in all the nooks and crannes.i just use reagular turrtel wax car wash and it does a good job.
vernong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 02:41 PM   #22
vernong
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to vernong Send a message via Yahoo to vernong
dirty wheels

All bmw owners have the same problem with brake dust,(its well worth it), I use turtle wax car wash and a wheel detail brush,( from Wal Mart for under $3 made by turtle wax), it gets in all the nooks and cranies without any problems and the rims look great. I also heard about waxing the rims but haven't tried it yet because I 'm satisfied with the results I get .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
vernong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 06:23 PM   #23
T x 2
AF Enthusiast

I have solved that dirty wheel problem for me.... I pay someone else to wash my car and wheels once a week.... After scrubbing the wheels for the first year of me having my car, i got sick of it so decided to pay a car detailing place to clean it for me, and they do a great job everytime...
Old 09-01-2002, 04:08 AM   #24
BlOOe46
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlOOe46
nooooo way!

T x 2 u gotta make love to the car, wash and wax every little crevice allllll over its body, u know what ur doing is basically prostituting ur car out to someone and paying THEM for their time?

no, its not just u, that exhaust pipe DOES look a little stretched out
Old 09-03-2002, 05:15 AM   #25
farking_funny
AF Newbie

Change the pads to a harder compound.
farking_funny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:37 AM   #26
msi
AF Newbie

Re: dirty wheels

Does anyone know about the ceramic brakes? Do they make them for the BMW? I have a 1999 328I, love it hate the dirty rims.
msi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:41 AM   #27
abrittis
AF Newbie

If you are the type of person who likes their wheels spotless, owning a BMW will surly be a challenge. Personally, I like my wheels clean, but I don't care if I miss a few small spots here and there. Once a week I spray a wheel cleaner on the wheels, and then use a power washer to wash it off. I do this as part of my car wash, and takes about 3 minutes for all 4 tires. Although the wheels aren't spotless, they come very clean.

Anthony
abrittis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:19 PM   #28
blu330i
AF Newbie

i have problems with the dirty wheels, brake dust i have 17 inch rim on my 330I 2001 sedan 4door
i use some wax on the rims

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series