Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 02:20 AM   #1
NZGTRA17
AF Enthusiast

TKO600 Transmission

We were racing my car in the weekend and had 5th gear fail during practice. The internal shift rail for 5th gear & reverse broke. This lead to the trans selecting 4th as well as 5th when it was downshifted from 5th. This in turn lead to the end being sheared off the layshaft.

If you are rebuilding a TKO600 for serious racing ensure that you upgrade the 5th / reverse shift rail to avoid encountering the same failure.

Symptom of this failure is that the trans will work fine in all gears except 5th. Will seem to shift into 5th but there will be no drive.

I have found a shop in New Zealand (Green Brothers Racing) that has encountered this before and makes an upgraded shift rail.

Kel.
Panoz GTRA #17
New Zealand
NZGTRA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:37 AM   #2
cvbowers
AF Newbie

Re: TKO600 Transmission

Had mine upgraded when I bought it. Just did it as a precaution. Did not know of this issue at the time.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
NZGTRA17
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbowers View Post
Had mine upgraded when I bought it. Just did it as a precaution. Did not know of this issue at the time.
Hi Charlie, would be really surprised if they upgraded the part I am talking about. It is a shift rail right down inside the trans that goes from the main case back into the extension housing. The normal area the trans is modified is in the rails at the top of the trans or the shifter.

The problem with the factory Tremec part is that it has a weak point where the roller wheel shaft is pinned into the shift rail. There is simply not enough cross sectional area there and the material is brittle after being hardened. Mine looked like it had cracked and then taken a little time to finally break through.

Liberty Gears do not sell a upgraded part so if you find that you need one Green Brothers Racing are the answer.

How is the car coming along?

Kel.
Panoz GTRA #17
New Zealand
NZGTRA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:43 AM   #4
cvbowers
AF Newbie

Have all the panels and parts. Working on the car a little at a time. Repairing some panels with the guidance of 3M. Process is going a little faster each visit to the garage. Just need to fit the panels now and get them painted. Should have it completed by the end of August. Shooting for fall track time. It has been wicked hot here this summer. We usually see a week or two of 90 degree plus weather. This entire summer has been in the mid 90's with our normal high humidity.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS