Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
Brandon505
AF Newbie

Torqing wheels

So when you check that your wheels are torqued theirs no need to loosen the lug first right? just tighten until it clicks cause if anything the lugs loosen they don't tighten right? it seems obvious but i had to ask.
Brandon505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
Black Lotus
AF Regular

Re: Torqing wheels

Unless there's something really wrong with the hardware, you can just twist the torque wrench and if it gets to the FACTORY specs, it's at least "minimum tight".
It may very well be torqued beyond the values the factory wants--which is pretty common, and that's not a good thing either as it stresses the hardware some.
Don't get too worried, as this area is generally overbuilt, because the factory assumes that mindless gorillas will be working on the car.
If you don't trust the other people, back the nuts off to where they are a tiny bit loose and re-torque them to FACTORY SPECS using a criss-cross pattern. Be sure that the wheel is partially supported by a jack or off the ground if the wheel actually comes loose--to make sure that the nuts all have a chance to snug up equally.
Black Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #3
Adam Bond
AF Newbie

Re: Torqing wheels

Yep I agree with above comments. Most mechanics and tyre places screw your wheels on so tight with rattle guns you would never get them off. Last tyre change that my car had I lost 2 wheel nuts on the drive home, go figure. They either do them to tight or they fall off.
Adam Bond is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General