Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 06:16 AM   #1
Phteven
AF Newbie

Did My Mechanic tamper with Mileage?

My engine seized on my 06 Durango. Long story short when it went in to be replaced it had 154,610, it now has 157,100.

It's been in the shop the last week and half and had a re-manufactured engine put in. When I was finally able to drive it 2 days after my wife picked it up I noticed the mileage seemed odd as I though there was less on it. I looked at the receipt and there was 3k miles less on the receipt. I also noticed there was something about a 3k mile warranty on the receipt which I guess might be for the shop cause I have a 3yr/unlimited mile warranty on the engine.

So I went back to the shop and asked if it had been tampered with and he quickly said "No sir!" then asked if the panel had been acting up. I told him it has not. He had no answer for it. I then said well on the receipt it has the 154k that it came in with and I even verified with dealership on what the mileage when it was towed to them.

I then asked well if I go to sell it and they see its tampered with how they gonna no if mileage was rolled back or advanced as the purpose of tampering is to roll back miles to increase the value. He said the mileage displayed is whats in the computer. If a scanner was hooked up it will say what the dash is reading.

So did they tamper with odometer or did it somehow miraculously add 3k miles because of the re-man engine?
Phteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:43 AM   #2
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Re: Did My Mechanic tamper with Mileage?

sounds like either someone wrote the wrong mileage down when you had it towed in or someone took the van on a road trip
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
Phteven
AF Newbie

Re: Did My Mechanic tamper with Mileage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crvett69 View Post
sounds like either someone wrote the wrong mileage down when you had it towed in or someone took the van on a road trip
I was almost certain I did not have 157k miles. I called the dealership when the truck was initially towed to see what mileage they had on their paperwork. No way they drove 3k miles in 2 days
Phteven is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General