Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Tips and Maintenance Procedures
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Tips and Maintenance Procedures Post helpful tips, maintenance guides and R&R procedures for all Buick models here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
Loekee75
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Loekee75
Thumbs up Don't miss the hidden hose!

A couple years ago it came time to get a new alternator for my '92 Park Avenue. My car has the "Series 1" L27 3800 engine. For those of you with the same motor, take a look down underneath the alternator and you'll see a small curved heater hose about 5 inches long. This heater hose (I've seen it called a bypass hose at autozone, PN#S-3041) is often overlooked, and if I had inspected it back then when I had the alternator pulled, I would have replaced it, seeing as it is very easy to remove with the alternator out of the way. The other day my coolant level started dropping, and I found that this hose started leaking. Just underneath the hose is the waterpump, and if I hadn't really observed the source of the leak, I probably would have jumped the gun and thought the waterpump gasket was leaking! And for those of you who have replaced a waterpump on this engine, you know it isn't a fun day in the park, especially if it turns out to be all for nothing! Also, I could imagine would would have happened had the hose busted and spewed coolant all over the alternator! So the next time you're changing your radiator hoses and/ or alternator, spend the extra 8 bucks and change that hose as well! It could prevent a lot of possible costly repairs in the near future! Just a friendly suggestion to my fellow 3800 owners!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2653398
1992 Buick Park Avenue (Daily driver)
2001 Saturn SL1 (gas saver)
Loekee75 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Tips and Maintenance Procedures