Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LaCrosse/Allure
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
Altrichter
AF Newbie

2006 LaCrosse radio issues

So, I recently bought a 2006 LaCrosse and yesterday I started having radio issues, the buttons all quit and the clock isn't displayed. the knobs both work and the CD player kinda works, I put a CD in to test it and now I can't turn it off ( eject button doesn't work).
I've been looking into replacement options but in the mean time I just need to get the damn CD to stop playing.
I know that if I were to get a replacement radio I would have to have it programmed.
My question is, If I take this radio out so I can pull the covers of and maybe get the CD out, will it need to be reprogrammed before it will work again or will the radio retain those settings?
Altrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 2006 LaCrosse radio issues

Well, if you try and put another GM radio in, like from a junk yard, even programming might not work, because on some systems, that replacement radio will have the VIN of the car it originally was in, and the other modules will not communicate with it...certain years, you could reprogram the new VIN in, but the newer models you couldn't.....this would drive New Car dealerships crazy, because they would always be trying to change radios in cars to sell them, by swapping them out of other cars on their lot....some radios come out easy, some don't, and there is a loss of time when the radios don't work and you have to swap them back......

You might be better off buying an aftermarket radio, with more options than the GM one, like MP3 capability, Bluetooth, even satellite radio, etc...

Places like Crutchfield are very helpful, in showing you how to wire up the new radio with your harness on the car, which may involve bypasssing the serial data line or not....

And they are a lot cheaper, than GM radios....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #3
Altrichter
AF Newbie

Thanks, if I replace it I will definitely go with an aftermarket. I was mostly wondering if I could unplug this one and re-install it without losing the programming on it.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

I'm not sure, if the TheftLock would activate if you unplug it......my guess is it won't......reprogramming is just for replacing a radio...
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
Altrichter
AF Newbie

So, I had a weird fix to this and I wanted to wait a while to make sure it stuck before posting it. I pulled the fuse to check it and after I put the same fuse back in, the radio worked normally and has ever since. Does anyone know why this might be?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LaCrosse/Allure