Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Skylark
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 09:51 PM   #1
markamr63
AF Newbie

noisy engine

i have a 94 skylark with a 3100 engine.i loaned it to my son-in-law and the check oil light came on, instead of pulling over and checking the oil he kept on driving now it rattles. is it easy to pull the pan and check the bearings or do i have to pull the engine? i was told the pan is part of the stucture,would it be easier to get a whole new long block or fix the old one?
markamr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
Tom_SF
Buick Owner

Re: noisy engine

I have a 1995 Skylark with the same engine but I don't think the two problems are related.

I looked up the oil light in the owner's manual and it's only supposed to come on when the oil level is low. Therefore it could be the oil sensor has to be replaced. Trouble is I couldn't find it on mine to replace. It's in the front somewhere in the engine. I've had about a dozen oil changes since it first came on and have had no trouble so I don't think you will have to take anything apart.

I did notice that if I turn the ignition key very slowly, the light will go out when the car is started.

As for the rattling, I had a similar problem with the valve lifters making noise and a mechanic recommended using some engine treatment and to start using full-synthetic oil. I used some and the noise was gone within a month. I wish I used full-synthetic from the start.
Tom_SF is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Skylark