Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
Thunderbird74
AF Newbie

74 tbird overheating and deiseling

I need some help here. I own a 1974 thunderbird with a 460 engine. Fresh rebuild. Did it myself but having issues getting it running right. It ran fine up untill the gas went to varnish. Car has been sitting. There is fresh gas in it now. Since then its been a Headache. It starts but runs very hot to the point it deisels.. Seems like the carb is dumping gas into the intake. It will start and idle but when you squeeze the gas pedal it will backfire and shoot gas up thru the carburetor. Car runs so hot it deisels when i shut it off. I can look into the radiator while its running and see coolant flowing thru the radiator. Both upper and lower hoses get HOT.. It has a new edelbrock 1406 carburetor. If you squeeze the throttle ever so slowly it will go up in rpm. But if you goose it. Itll stall and gas can be seen coming out the carb. tried adjusting the timing and still cant get it to run right. It has an aftermarket mild cam in it. Summit sum-3500. Im grabbing straws here as to why its acting so hot. I do know that when you get behind the car its running rich. Any help or ideas as to what may be going on here would be greatly areciated. If i forgot any info plz let me know. Its a project of 3 yrs so far. A big lawn ornament for now.

Last edited by Thunderbird74; 10-26-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Thunderbird74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
Thunderbird74
AF Newbie

Re: 74 tbird overheating and deiseling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird74 View Post
I need some help here. I own a 1974 thunderbird with a 460 engine. Fresh rebuild. Did it myself but having issues getting it running right. It ran fine up untill the gas went to varnish. Car has been sitting. There is fresh gas in it now. Since then its been a Headache. It starts but runs very hot to the point it deisels.. Seems like the carb is dumping gas into the intake. It will start and idle but when you squeeze the gas pedal it will backfire and shoot gas up thru the carburetor. Car runs so hot it deisels when i shut it off. I can look into the radiator while its running and see coolant flowing thru the radiator. Both upper and lower hoses get HOT.. It has a new edelbrock 1406 carburetor. If you squeeze the throttle ever so slowly it will go up in rpm. But if you goose it. Itll stall and gas can be seen coming out the carb. tried adjusting the timing and still cant get it to run right. It has an aftermarket mild cam in it. Summit sum-3500. Im grabbing straws here as to why its acting so hot. I do know that when you get behind the car its running rich. Any help or ideas as to what may be going on here would be greatly areciated. If i forgot any info plz let me know. Its a project of 3 yrs so far. A big lawn ornament for now.
Edit... I reset the timing to 14 degrees BTDC and set the accelerator pump to the center hole in the linkage and she fires right up.. No spit or sputter. No deiseling. And no overheating. I paid a mechanic (supposed to be a good friend of mine) to adjust the carburetor and thats how it got so messed up to begin with. Dude took my cash and left me a mess. Now that its timed correctly it runs as it should. Now i can enjoy this beast and finally take it to local car meets. I really like this car as the date on the motor from the day is was built is only 9 days older than me. I learned a few valuable lessons here. 1... Dont let your car sit too long.. The gas goes bad.. It causes all kinds of bad stuff.. And 2.. Dont ever give your money to a mechanic that says he knows whats goin on when in fact he has no clue about carbureted engines.. And brings a 6 pack of beer with him..
Thunderbird74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:17 PM   #3
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: 74 tbird overheating and deiseling

I understand. My 65 Comet was born almost the same date as me in 64. If I do work for someone, I don't ask for money. I tell them to pay what they feel it was worth and to wait a couple of months before paying. That I don't expect a dime, I do it because I enjoy it and they may need the money for something else more important. Kids, bills, medical expenses, are all things I want them to take care of and I just hope they are available when I need a hand at something that takes more than my two.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 65comet For This Useful Post:
Thunderbird74 (10-30-2019)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Thunderbird