Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora > '97 - '03
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
rhaigh08
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to rhaigh08
2003 VW jetta ?'s

Okay my best friends mom has a 03 jetta today she picked me up because my cars tranny went out. So we were driving and her engine light came on conviently we were right next to an autozone so we pulled in had the code tested and it came up as a cooling system malfunction. What could that be the guy didn't give us an exact code. That is all he said. What could this be? Also what ould be some recommendations? This car has 82k miles and is rarely maintainenced, as she is going through a nasty divorce and was left with nothing but bills. The jetta has also eaten up a bit of coolant within the last 6 months. I added about a quart or so approximately 2 months ago the level seems to be staying up it was just low that one time. also I noticed at around the same time the oil level was low but she needs an oil change HORRIBLY. were talking shes like 5-7k miles overdue for one. Also several yrs back the battery had a crack in the bottom of it and was leaking could that have damaged anything also she has been saying it has an occasional starting issue?ANY maintainence that anybody would recommend would be greatly appreciatedbecause I am not familiar with these cars. She needs this car to last and I will try doing what I can to get it back to prime running condition.

Last edited by rhaigh08; 01-05-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added information
rhaigh08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
3mikeman
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 VW jetta ?'s

Mine did the same thing a week ago still. I thought it was still under warranty and the dealer i took it to told me the thermostat was bad and wanted $345.00 to change it and of course it was 250 miles past the warranty. I did it myself for $20.00 bucks and about 1 hour of my time to change it and the light went off after that.
3mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
ldsgja
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 VW jetta ?'s

You mentioned that you added coolant, hopefully you used VW G20. A lot of people think it is the same as Dexcool but it is not.

What kind of jetta is it? I have heard of a common "Cold stall" issue with 1.8ts. Alternatively 2.8 VR6s have a "warm stall" issue.

But loosing coolant can be serious, but luckily it is usually a pretty easy thing to get repaired, talking $200 - which isn't bad for a Volkswagen.
ldsgja is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora > '97 - '03