Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
cherokeeowner
AF Newbie

90 Jeep Cherokee Electrical Problem

My 1990 Jeep Cherokee suddenly had the following items stop working: radio, cigarette lighter, a/c blower motor, clock, turn indicators and windshield wipers. However; the following items continue to function perfectly: dash panel lights, interior overhead lights, headlights, brake lights, and hazard lights.
Is it possible that all of the fuses for the non-functioning components would stop working all at once? Or, is there a relay located under the hood that would control all of those components?
Thank you in advance for any suggestions to remedy this situation.
cherokeeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
inafogg
AF Enthusiast

Re: 90 Jeep Cherokee Electrical Problem

have you checked courtesy fuse???
inafogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
cherokeeowner
AF Newbie

I have not checked the courtesy fuse - I am a real novice and did not know that there was such a thing. Is it located on the fuse panel under the dash? (I don't see anything mentioned on the diagram in the owner's manual.)
cherokeeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
thetandycollector
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to thetandycollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeeowner View Post
I have not checked the courtesy fuse - I am a real novice and did not know that there was such a thing. Is it located on the fuse panel under the dash? (I don't see anything mentioned on the diagram in the owner's manual.)
Take out all of the fuses for the affected parts, and see if they've burned. If all are good but the cigarette lighter, take the dash bezel off and check out the wiring bundle that the cigarette lighter wiring travels through... Mine has had a slight meltdown in the past due to the lighter wiring getting hot, melting, and shorting out the wiring in that part of the harness.

There shouldn't be a relay that affects the radio, AC blower motor, cig, and turn lps, but not for sure. I know my 90 Jeep doesn't have one for those.

The Tandy Collector
thetandycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
maurobej
AF Newbie

Please let me know if you fixed your electrical problem. I have a 1994 Cherokee which has the same problem, everything died (ac, wipers, radio, turn signals, except the head lights) now the battery light turns on, and the battery is not recharging, so the car dies after a few days. I had the altenator and battery checked and are good.
maurobej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
LadyZarkia
AF Newbie

Question Re: 90 Jeep Cherokee Electrical Problem

My jeep is doing the same thing and i have noticed that when I jiggle the key sometimes stuff starts working again or at least it use to it got harder and harder to get the key in just the right spot and it vibrates out of place again so that everything stopped working again. I am thinking maybe the lock and tumbler or some where in the ignition is the cause but I am not sure anyone have any ideas?
LadyZarkia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:07 AM   #7
gtmud
AF Enthusiast

So this could be a fuse issue, with a possible short in a harness or component. I would check ALL the fuses first with a test light, or by removing them on by one being careful not to mix them up. OF course the 90 had the old style fuse panel under the dash on the drivers side mounted on the firewall. Check the harness as recommended before too.
The key issue, sounds like the ignition switch mounted on the lower portion of the steering column is a problem or the key cylinder and tumblers are binding. Simple test, remove the ignition switch and then try the key cylinder, if it moves free then you have already removed your culprit.
gtmud is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
cherokee , electrical , fuses , relays
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee