Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 12:25 AM   #1
Ramblin Fever
AF Enthusiast

3.2L V6 IS an interference engine

according to the very detailed up-to-date manual my long time Import mechanic shop had on hand.

Source of book was Alldata, I believe, on Timing belt instructions, set-ups, etc for all import cars. This guy showed me every page listed for Isuzu engines.

I always knew the 4-cylinders were interference, but I thought the SOHC 3.2L V6 (specifically 97yr) was a NON-interference engine.

Man, now I'm kind of worried - I have 70K+ on this 2nd timing belt; a truck that does see moderate heat 70-95's in the summer and 20-50's winter, which heat/cold has been known to eat belts.

It clearly stated that the 6VD1, for 96-97 as well as 98+ ARE interference engines, and a broken belt will destroy the engine.

I know several of you have said that the 96-97yrs are a NON-interference, but can you provide information on how you know that.

It does seem that every manual, internet sight, says one thing, and something else says another. So I don't know WHAT to believe. Anybody have any personal proof that the belt breaking does NOT do damage?

Thanks!

2004 3.4L Tacoma TRD off-road 4x4 Double cab
32" Yoko's, Westin Bull-bar, KC Fogs 60K miles
Ramblin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:00 PM   #2
95.5 Rodeo
AF Regular

I think the Alldata information is wrong. I have also read and heard conflicting opinions about this subject. The service advisor at the local Isuzu dealership told me it was an interference engine, but his reply was "off the top of his head".

Here is a link to the Gates website and a catalog with interference engines noted with an asterisk (*)-

http://www.gates.com/downloads/downl...older=brochure

Gates would know, wouldn't they?

Here is someone who had the timing belt break on their 3.2l engine-

http://forums.vmag.com/suvrodeo0300/messages/331.html

When I first bought my Rodeo, I was concerned about the timing belt breaking and taking out the engine.

I don't worry about it anymore.

Dale
95.5 Rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:08 PM   #3
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Here we go again
All variants of the isuzu 3.2/3.5's (1993-2004) are non-interference engines. This has been verified by several experienced isuzu techs as well as individuals who did a DIY Timing belt replacement & initially had the valve timing set WAY off. No damage. There's lots of documentation out there with wrong information.
G/luck
Joel
Old 12-02-2004, 06:25 PM   #4
Ramblin Fever
AF Enthusiast

Re: 3.2L V6 IS an interference engine

I know we've beaten it to the ground. And I apologize, it's just that gosh darn book scared the beejeebee's out of me - as I darn well don't have the cash to replace an engine. And with X-mas, I'm short handed funds to do the belt as well.

Thanks again, ya'll. I promise not to ask again - and thanks for providing more proof!

2004 3.4L Tacoma TRD off-road 4x4 Double cab
32" Yoko's, Westin Bull-bar, KC Fogs 60K miles
Ramblin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 06:41 PM   #5
2eyefishclaw
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 2eyefishclaw Send a message via Yahoo to 2eyefishclaw

it is considered by Isuzu to be an interference engine however I heve never seen valve damage on a 3.2 due to a broken belt I have even gon as far as cranking my 96 trooper over 3.2L without the timing belt just to prove it will not damage anything
2eyefishclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:35 PM   #6
mrprogrock
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to mrprogrock Send a message via Yahoo to mrprogrock
I think....and I may be wrong.....that having an interference engine is not a guarantee that if the timing belt breaks you will have engine damage. Interference engine just means that there is a possibility of damage. Interference or no, it would appear that the tendency for these vehicles is to not be damaged by timing that is way off or T-belts breaking.
mrprogrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:31 PM   #7
2eyefishclaw
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 2eyefishclaw Send a message via Yahoo to 2eyefishclaw

correct some auto makers know it will be ok if the belt does break butt just incase something bad would happen they could then say told you so
2eyefishclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
rgomez28
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeo02 View Post
Here we go again
All variants of the isuzu 3.2/3.5's (1993-2004) are non-interference engines. This has been verified by several experienced isuzu techs as well as individuals who did a DIY Timing belt replacement & initially had the valve timing set WAY off. No damage. There's lots of documentation out there with wrong information.
G/luck
Joel
I don't care what you think you know , but I can tell you that my 99 passports engine bent its valves as a result of a broken timing belt...but your free to take your chances.
rgomez28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Just an FYI .... the poster before you is a Certified Isuzu tech ...

the 3.2 is a non-interference engine ....

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:17 AM   #10
Cat Fuzz
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez28 View Post
I don't care what you think you know , but I can tell you that my 99 passports engine bent its valves as a result of a broken timing belt...but your free to take your chances.
Who told you it had bent valves due to a broken timing belt? If it was a 3.2 V-6, it didn't. IF you actually had bent valves, something else caused it. If a mechanic told you this, you got ripped off. I have had these engines apart myself as well as many other people including 30 year Isuzu techs and we all have come to the conclusion that the 3.2L Isuzu V-6 is very much a non-interference engine.

I know several people who have been ripped off by mechanics who claimed that their broken timing belt caused damage when it didn't. This is pretty common practice with thief mechanics.

98+ 3.2L V-6's have a very unusual procedure for setting valve timing. None of the mass marketed repair manuals detail the correct procedure. Many, MANY people have timed their engines incorrectly and run them. No damage. Many people have broken timing belts. No damage.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #11
WhiteRodeo4x4
AF Regular

Two Thousand Five Hundred and Thirty One Views ...9 answers and no one can agree if the engine is an interference engine or not !!!!!!!!I find it mind boggling that people can't agree on this subject. How many of you had timing belts snap??? Did the Valves bend?? If 15 belts broke and every one had the valves bend then there is your answer. If one guy had valves bend either he had other problems i.e suck a valve down, or drop a valve......I personally know of a Rodeo 2000 v6 3.2 with a broken timing belt and the car turned over like a champ....but you knew the belt was broken because the rocker arms were not going anywhere.......SO that leads me to sumize that the engine is a NON INTERFERENCE ENGINE........
WhiteRodeo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
Cat Fuzz
AF Enthusiast

I have been into these engines before. I know a couple retired Isuzu Techs. I know OTHER people who have been into this engine. I know others who have snapped t-belts. There is no discussion here. The 100% absolute truth of the matter is, the 3.2L and 3.5L Isuzu, 6VD1 and 6VE1 engines are NON-INTERFERENCE. I have tested this myself. Others have tested this. The ONLY exception is the DIRECT INJECTION engines that were available for 2004.

If you paid a mechanic to rebuild or replace your engine or cylinder heads due to bent valves because of a broken timing belt, you were RIPPED OFF.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cat Fuzz For This Useful Post:
boritz (03-20-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
WhiteRodeo4x4
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Fuzz View Post
I have been into these engines before. I know a couple retired Isuzu Techs. I know OTHER people who have been into this engine. I know others who have snapped t-belts. There is no discussion here. The 100% absolute truth of the matter is, the 3.2L and 3.5L Isuzu, 6VD1 and 6VE1 engines are NON-INTERFERENCE. I have tested this myself. Others have tested this. The ONLY exception is the DIRECT INJECTION engines that were available for 2004.

If you paid a mechanic to rebuild or replace your engine or cylinder heads due to bent valves because of a broken timing belt, you were RIPPED OFF.

I agree 100%
WhiteRodeo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:07 AM   #14
boritz
AF Regular

Yep - Cat Fuzz 100% correct.
boritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:15 AM   #15
offtapmotorsports
AF Newbie

hi so just seeing if anyone can shed some extra light on this subject?
issue is the timing belt has strip teeth etc, the person with the vehicle has pulled all the front off and summary so far is the cams have bent both of them and are sitting off set? has anyone had a similar issue?
offtapmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU