Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Engine and Transmission
Engine and Transmission Discuss Engine, Transmission, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #1
Badsanta5050
AF Newbie

87 camero 5 Speed Not ran in 20 years

I purchased a V6 87 Camero from a friend of my fathers. This guy takes amazing care of everything he owns. he gave me the window sticker never folded in a bag when i bought the car from him. I don't know much about vehicals but am looking to take this project on. This car has been sitting for 20 years and ill be towing to my house later this week. Where do i start?
Badsanta5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:58 PM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: 87 camero 5 Speed Not ran in 20 years

Welcome aboard.

You can start by spelling it "Camaro" as much as possible.

What transmission?

All fluids will need some attention.

With that engine (2.8L? MPFI) it sill be important to get clean fuel in the tank and a clean fuel filter installed.

Engine oil and filter should be changed.

The brake fluid will likely have absorbed water by now and should be bled out completely and replaced with DOT 3 fluid.

If the trans is manual, empty the clutch fluid reservoir and refill it with clean DOT 3.

If the trans is auto, after an initial run ad warmup to full operating temperature, drop the trans pan, changed the trans filter, and refill with Dexron VI (not Dex III unless there are signs of damage in the pan).

The coolant will be dead by now, and corrosion could have already begun. After that same warm-up run, drain the cooling system and flush with water. If you are lucky the corrosion will be minimal and you can refill with 50% coolant mix. If the corrosion is severe, add some cooling system flush cleaner and follow the instructions for run/drain/flush and refill.

Check brake linings and calipers/wheel cylinders.

Inspect tires for cracking and failure. Old rubber is not usually safe.

Drain the power steering pump reservoir and refill with fresh P/S hydraulic oil to fortify the seal conditioners and anti-foam properties of the fluid.

Lubricate all latches and hinges, and be especially careful of the read hatch pull-down mechanism. They will break easily if not used properly - NEVER slam or force the rear hatch to close.

After all that is done, there will be a lot of other items to check or service, but those are somewhat critical.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Engine and Transmission