Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 07:13 PM   #1
Diceman83
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Diceman83
Exclamation (More) Box questions...

I just did some final measurements in my car, and found a really annoying piece of the frame that sticks down just far enough to be a problem with getting the box all the way into the back of my trunk. I really don't want to change my design anymore, so I was wondering if it would be safe to carve or sand off the small amount of material necessary for it to fit. I'll have plenty of excess material to brace it with from the inside, so I don't think shaving like half an inch and then gluing some more material on the underside would be a problem, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Diceman83; 02-09-2005 at 11:20 PM.
Diceman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 07:28 PM   #2
balls_to_the_wall
AF Enthusiast

Re: (More) Box questions...

Me, if its the frame, I won't screw with it, cause its there for a damn good reason, but im not sure what frame member would get in the way of your sub box, course then Im not familiar with your vehicle. Even though it would be a pain in the A**, I would just make the box to fit around it.
balls_to_the_wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
AndonD454
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AndonD454

i think he was talking about carving into his box a little..

and yeah i suppose it should theoretically work.. but youll have to make sure whatever you do to patch the opening will be air tight. itll have to bond well to the surrounding wood and it will have to be strong enough not to felx much. also, it should be something pretty dense..

it would probably be ideal to build something out of more MDF to patch it.. but whatever you do it will probably be a pain in the ass.

Sold all my shit.

waiting for more money
AndonD454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:25 PM   #4
Diceman83
AF Enthusiast

I'm hoping not to have to cut into the actual interior of the box, so keeping it airtight won't be a problem, just the strength of the resulting thin area is what I'm worried about. I'll probably just use a bit of extra half inch thick MDF to put on the inside to add some extra bracing.

Actually, it may or may not be a good thing to be sqeezed between 2 frame members. Does it aid or disrupt operation of the sub to have its box be sqeezed top and bottom by the frame? Have any of the more advanced members here seen a setup like that? I'd think it would basically turn the chassis into part of the strength of the box, and it would end up vibrating a little with the sub.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:25 PM   #5
balls_to_the_wall
AF Enthusiast

I don't think it would have a problem with the frame, cause if anything, it would add more structural rigidity if it is weged up into the frame that way, although I don't think 3/4 mdf is gonna flex enough for anyone to give a damn.

Oh and my bad on my earlier post, I for some reason was thinking he was gonna shave the frame down some, now that I reread it, im an idiot....lol...

Cause I was wondeirng, "safe to carve or sand off the small amount of material necessary for it to fit. I'll have plenty of excess material to brace it with from the inside, so I don't think shaving like half an inch and then gluing some more material on the underside would be a problem, but please correct me if I'm wrong." I was wondering how this was gonna work with the frame...oh well....
balls_to_the_wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 09:46 PM   #6
Diceman83
AF Enthusiast

hehe, not a problem... I've had experience with the sub that's part of my computer speakers (Logitech Z-560's) touching the floor directly, and transmitting through the floor to parts of the house that it isn't possible for the sound to reach through the air. Even at very low volumes, it would transmit right though the floor and seem just as loud in the room below. I've since put the sub up on a 2" thick pad of soft styrofoam, and haven't had any problems since. I'm worried that similar effects will screw with the harmonics/balence/whatever in the cabin of my car.

At least it will make securing it in place easier... all I have to do is get some tension somehow pulling the box towards the front of the car, so it stays wedged in place.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:32 PM   #7
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ngsm13

WELL, what I would do is double baffle the top. Make it 1.5" thick mdf...then sand/hack away at what you need to do. Then go over it with increasingly higher grit sand paper to smooth it out again

NG
ngsm13 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio