Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
sedqp5
AF Newbie

Overhead Cams

Hello,

I am a mechanical engineering student at Mizzou and recently we have be studying cam design. Of course this led me to look into the internal combustion engine where I ran into a question.

I've noticed that it seems that people are moving away from pushrod cam systems to overhead cams but I'm not exactly sure why. I guess that I understand that by removing the push rods it frees up some logistical space in the lower portion of the motor but is there any advantages other than this?(i.e. advantages in available cam design such as to minimize acceleration or jerk?)

I was also wondering if there are any engine manufacturers who are utilizing form-closed cams rather than the standard seeing that this would eliminate the need for valve springs.

BTW, this information isn't for a project or anything, just curiosity, It's nice to see how this information is getting applied from time to time.

Thanks in advance
sedqp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Overhead Cams

Lots of weight savings with ohc also less moving parts and no deflection or odd angles in the valvetrain. The belt drive and gears can be complex and expensive though. Variable cam timing is the big thing now for power and economy, but also adds to complexity.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Overhead Cams

Overhead cams give 3 important advantages over pushrod engines.

1. It is an effective way to get the intake and exhaust valves facing each other at a canted angle. This allows for a hemispherical combustion chamber, which is more thermdynamically efficient. It allows for a more efficient burning of the fuel/air mixture, to increase power and fuel economy and reduce emissions.

2. This valve arangement produces greater volumetic efficiencies, allowing more air in and out of the combustion chamber for more power and fuel efficiency.

3. Overhead cam designs allow for less valvetrain mass, allowing for a higher-revving engine and the potential for more power. The engine can rev higher, with softer valvesprings, before valve float occurs.

You should note that some engine designs allow for some, but not all of these advantages. Some engines, like the Chrysler Hemi use pushrods, but get a hemispherical chamber shape. But they cannot rev as high as many OHC engines.

Also, some OHC engines , like the older Chrysler 2.2 ad 2.5 liter engines do not use the opposed-valve arrangement. They use valves lined up in a row and a resulting "wedge" shape chamber, like most pushrod engines, This allows for a higher rev potential, but does not allow the efficient hemispherical shape.

As noted above, all things being equal, pushrod engines are cheaper to manufacture, and are more compact.

Finally, an OHC engine allows for the potential of these advantages. But all components must have a coordinated, optimal design to gain them. It is quite easy to have a real dog of an OHC engine (the older Ford 2.3 4 cyl engine comes to mind) but some pushrod, wedge engines can be awesome, such as many recent Corvette engines.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote