Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 03:44 PM   #1
gforce811
AF Newbie

Question $500 budget system...

I was wondering if someone could build me a system for a $500 budget. I'm kind of new to the car audio scene, but I'm looking for a high quality system because I really appreciate a good sound.

This needs to include:
-cd head unit, with iPod capability if possible (not a radio one, a direct link to the unit)
-2 front speakers
-2 back speakers
-a sub
-sub enclosure (maybe plans to build one)
-amp(s)

Basically just the best sound for $500 or under.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.
gforce811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:54 PM   #2
vinnym86
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to vinnym86
Re: $500 budget system...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce811
I was wondering if someone could build me a system for a $500 budget. I'm kind of new to the car audio scene, but I'm looking for a high quality system because I really appreciate a good sound.

This needs to include:
-cd head unit, with iPod capability if possible (not a radio one, a direct link to the unit)
-2 front speakers
-2 back speakers
-a sub
-sub enclosure (maybe plans to build one)
-amp(s)

Basically just the best sound for $500 or under.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.
i could give u suggestions, but you're better off doing research and finding shit on ur own, man.first off, for $500, lemme just say ur gonna get what u pay for. Go with cheap components in the front, cheap coax's in the back, go with Phoenix Gold. get a cheap 10" sub from eBay, and probably a Profile amp, they're cheap. READ THE FORUM'S IMPORTANT Threads!! they got waht u need to get started. they're the first ones, u shoulda read em b4 posting this
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious... He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand to rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
vinnym86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:43 PM   #3
gforce811
AF Newbie

i read them, but i'm looking for recommendations because i don't know how a lot of those brands and what components stack up well when looking at price/performance ratios...

I'm also wondering what components I should look at to weigh more on the budget (e.g. should i spend more on speakers, or get a high quality amp instead to use with lower quality speakers).
Old 11-03-2005, 10:05 PM   #4
dantheman8328
AF Regular

ok you have a couple choices here...
1. you can go with a halfway decent system with some cheap subs and 1 amp for the sub, and just get some decent components upfront but no amp to power the 4 speakers...but maybe plans to add a 4channel amp?

2. you can get pretty good component speakers upfront and cheap coaxias in the rear(the front ones are much more important for sound quality) and get a 4 channel amp to power this...and then just not get a sub for now. and if you can, wait a couple months and get a decent sub and amp when you have the money or whatever, but for about another 300 for the sub/amp and the previous setup you could have a pretty good sounding system

3. you could just slowly build your system up and search for good deals as they come along and maybe extend your budget a little to get a better system.

and for your sub, it would be much much cheaper to build one, and its not hard, just do a search on google for it
and with the headunit, some say they are ipod ready, or just get one with a set up inputs

but it all really depends if you plan on slowly upgrading your system or just spend the 500 and live with what you have
if you dont upgrade your system just get a cheap 4channel amp with like 50wrmsx4 along with some decent speakers
dantheman8328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:13 PM   #5
pimprolla112
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to pimprolla112 Send a message via MSN to pimprolla112

First off your going to want high quality speakers, you can get a new set of b-stock comps off of ebay for about 65-100. B-stock just means that theres a cosmetic imperfection. Speakers will sound just fine with a decent amp, profile 4-channel would be perfect. That would end up being between 150-200. As for the hu anything with aux in would work you can get an rca-1/8" headphone jack adapter for a few bucks used it on a laptop for a while worked pretty nice. I usually recomend panasonic or alpine only because i have never had a problem with either brand and you can get a lot of features for a good price. You might need a bit more to get everything for the sub and other amp maybe 700 all together about 100-150 for a good 10 or 12 inch and 75-100 for the amp. Since your after good quality then a 12" with about 200-300 rms in a ported box would be your best bet.

Don't ever look at cars as just imports or domestics. Just because a car is made in a certain country doesn't mean that it is anything like another car from that country. An example of this is Mitsubishi reliability, just because they are Japanese doesn't mean that they are as reliable as a Honda or Toyota.

Cardomain
pimprolla112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:52 PM   #6
gforce811
AF Newbie

Thanks a lot for the tips. I'll look into it.

I guess something I forgot to mention is that I will be able to upgrade and add on, but for right now $500 would be about all i'd have for a base system to start off.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:38 PM   #7
vinnym86
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to vinnym86
Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce811
Thanks a lot for the tips. I'll look into it.

I guess something I forgot to mention is that I will be able to upgrade and add on, but for right now $500 would be about all i'd have for a base system to start off.
i just finished getting all my stuff, and tipped the iceburg at $700, if you wanna see what i got: https://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=483222
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious... He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand to rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
vinnym86 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio