Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Santa Fe > MY 01-06
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 07:34 AM   #16
cballar
AF Newbie

Re: Engine shuts off while driving

I am extremelly insterested to know if the problem reported by jhansen got resolved somehow on his/her Hyundai Santa Fe 2003.... I am having the same problem right now, no check engine light, and the engine shuts down while driving once in a while...... Can't fix it because the computer isn't capturing any error code at all.....If you have the solution please send me an email. Appreciate it.
cballar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #17
twospirits
Ex-Janitor of AF

most likely its a faulty crankshaft position sensor. there is a TSB for that and they Dealership should be able to fix it.

TS

Members please read: Guidelines
twospirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:27 AM   #18
automps
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to automps Send a message via Yahoo to automps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odai View Post
i have an 05 grand prix with 130XXX thousand miles on it. it shuts off while drivin and it only shuts off when im on the hwy and thats just pissin me off cuz i took it to 2 different mechanics and its not even fixed yet , they changed 5 different parts and it keeps on shuttin off. idk wt to do!!
They try the fuel pump ?
automps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #19
automps
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to automps Send a message via Yahoo to automps

Quote:
Originally Posted by twospirits View Post
most likely its a faulty crankshaft position sensor. there is a TSB for that and they Dealership should be able to fix it.

TS
Many cars come in the shop shutting off , Bad crankshaft position sensor . They over heat and lose the signal .
automps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #20
Grienerfren
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen View Post
I helped my daughter buy a 2003 Santa Fe 3 months ago. Her engine has now shut off 6 times while she is driving (one time on the freeway). The dealer claims they can't find the problem and wants her to not restart her engine and have the car towed. I told her no way to stay in the middle of the road like a sitting duck. Is anyone else having this problem......any ideas?
It might be the problem with the extraction of sufficient fuel to the engine.Please make it check with the help of well-trained and experienced mechanic.

florida online traffic school
new york defensive driving course
Old 11-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #21
dawnelle927
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: Engine shuts off while driving

I just recently bought a 99 Grand Cherokee from a private seller after having my car totalled in an accident. Of course the woman told me there was nothing wrong with it, she just wanted to buy something nicer... and apparently she was lying. Since the day after I brought it home it has been shutting off on me while driving, while sitting in park, and while sitting stopped at a light or in traffic. It seems to idle a little rough, but other than that I havent really noticed anything. It doesn't give any warning or making any odd noises, it just instantly shuts off. At first it would only do it while I was sitting stopped at a light or in my driveway, and it would crank right back up. But now its gotten to where it does it even while driving down the road, and it takes it a while before it will start back up for me. It also now will sort of slip while Im driving. It will lose power and the RPM will gradually go down, but if I rev the engine it will catch and the RPM will jump back up to normal. Other times it just drops straight to 0 and dies. Earlier today is the first time Ive gotten in it to go somewhere and it didn't crank right up, it took about 10 minutes for it to start. It has brand new spark plugs, oil change a month ago, and my boyfriend just put a brand new fuel pump in it last week. Also had the fuel injectors tested and they are fine. What could cause this??
dawnelle927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #22
zinchenko1
AF Newbie

i own a 1995 nissan maxima.lately when i drivint it,it stops running.when i start car,i have to push shifter ahead just a fraction.it then starts.would this issue,cause engine to stall?
zinchenko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #23
zinchenko1
AF Newbie

is that sensor magnatized? if it is,i had it replaced afew years ago
zinchenko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #24
Triathlete
AF Newbie

I too have a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe 4CL and twice the engine has powered off for no reason; once at a stop light and the other driving about 10mph. Since no check engine light is showing the mechanics can't pin point the problem. The engine has revved up while idle and driving on the hwy. Scary since I drive 66 miles RT each day to work. If this has happened to you please let me know how you fixed and if the problems have ceased. Thanks!
Triathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #25
mikuri
AF Newbie

Hey cballar,

I got the same thing for 10 years. it just shut off engine while driving.
and no check engine and battery light. so I cannot start the car without resetting ECU.
I have changed a lof of parts like ignition coil, ignition switch, main engine relay, head relay. just no luck.

what was the fix?

I appreciate if you share your case.

Thanks,

John
mikuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #26
Camry2.2L
AF Newbie

hey guys i have the same problem. I have a 1999 Toyota Camry 2.2L Automatic. The engine starts without any problem during morning or anytime of the day but the engine cuts off after running it a few kilometers (as if you turned the ignition off) without any warning at all.

But i have not experienced it while running at highspeed. (That would be really scary)

It only dies (cuts off) when its on 'D' and if your slowly moving on bad traffic. when you turn the ignition on it STARTS right up without any problem.

No check engine light.
Temp guage is in normal position.

Did some experiment in my garage i put it on Park while engine is running for 15 mins-- engine does not cut off

Did it in reverse did not cut off as well

put it on Neutral same result.

But on D (while stepping on the brake pedal) engine quits after several minutes....

could it be a bad crankshaft sensor? but it starts right away after i turn the ignition on.

Fuel pump? does not choke shake or rattle before it dies.

the funny thing is the idle is ok. have not experienced any rough idling

Would really appreciate it if anyone of you could help me resolve this problem. it would save me money on parts that does not need to be replced and labor cost.
Camry2.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #27
dsmitty85
AF Newbie

So how bout this,,, reading through I only see things about stalling, however. I have an 03 hyundai XG350, does not matter what speed you are traveling the engine loses power (stalls) with no sputter or anything. Then a short time later it regains power about a sec or two. And on occasion when turning it will stall and needs go be restarted...starts every time no problem, No codes and nothing I do can duplicate this, just happens on it's own when it wants.... Any ideas I'm at a loss
dsmitty85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #28
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnelle927 View Post
I just recently bought a 99 Grand Cherokee from a private seller after having my car totalled in an accident. Of course the woman told me there was nothing wrong with it, she just wanted to buy something nicer... and apparently she was lying. Since the day after I brought it home it has been shutting off on me while driving, while sitting in park, and while sitting stopped at a light or in traffic. It seems to idle a little rough, but other than that I havent really noticed anything. It doesn't give any warning or making any odd noises, it just instantly shuts off. At first it would only do it while I was sitting stopped at a light or in my driveway, and it would crank right back up. But now its gotten to where it does it even while driving down the road, and it takes it a while before it will start back up for me. It also now will sort of slip while Im driving. It will lose power and the RPM will gradually go down, but if I rev the engine it will catch and the RPM will jump back up to normal. Other times it just drops straight to 0 and dies. Earlier today is the first time Ive gotten in it to go somewhere and it didn't crank right up, it took about 10 minutes for it to start. It has brand new spark plugs, oil change a month ago, and my boyfriend just put a brand new fuel pump in it last week. Also had the fuel injectors tested and they are fine. What could cause this??
You need to put this on the jeep forum.
If this is a 5.2 Chrysler engine I would check the camshaft position on the side of the distributor if it has one. Also a camshaft position on the rear of engine if it doesn't have a distributor I still would try a camshaft position sensor.
They have done some changes since 1997.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rhandwor For This Useful Post:
FabricGATOR (01-13-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #29
LongDRV
AF Newbie

Greetings,

I am having the same problem. I have a Nissan Sentra, 2007, 155K miles. The car turns itself off when I stop. All panel lights remain on. I also noticed that the gear stop shifting when I reach 60miles. Any suggestion?

Thanks
LongDRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #30
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDRV View Post
Greetings,

I am having the same problem. I have a Nissan Sentra, 2007, 155K miles. The car turns itself off when I stop. All panel lights remain on. I also noticed that the gear stop shifting when I reach 60miles. Any suggestion?

Thanks
Advance Auto and Auto Zone will scan your engine free I would stop and get a free scan it should set a code when it shuts down.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Santa Fe > MY 01-06