Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
Johan_SWE
AF Regular

1996 AMG Mercedes C-Klasse ref pics needed

Posting this in a separate thread as well as in my DTM group build suggestion.

I have a few plans for the DTM builds, but right now my fingers are itching to make a 1996 AMG Mercedes C-Klasse, the ITC racer.
Base will be a Tamiya kit of the 1994 spec.

The ITC may have killed off the DTM for a period, but the cars and racing was the best I have seen!

What causes some concern right now is the lack of proper reference images of the 1995 and 1996 Mercedes.
I need better shots of the:
  • Interior (remember that the seat position was changed further back and more to the middle of the car, probably the steering column was longer as well)
  • Engine bay
  • Undertray (from front to rear).
    Pretty sure it was 100% flat since the Class 1 tourers basically were 1993 F1 cars with a roof...
  • Diffuser (more exactly how the diffuser looks from the side, where it was visible from the side of the car)
Fingers crossed that someone here has pics or some nice links :-)

/J.
Johan_SWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:04 AM   #2
flhansen
AF Regular

Re: 1996 AMG Mercedes C-Klasse ref pics needed

Hi

That era was in the pre internet era, so there's not a lot around of period photos. I would suggest to look for the book 'Tourenwagen Story 1996' that has some photos in it. There are various books about the DTM to be found, but the further away that season are most are just race pics which has not a lot of use.

But beware that the 94 and 96 Merc's are VERY different animals that looks alike but aren't. Apart from the monocoque interior that owes more to the later DTM series rather than the almost standard early chassis, the body is different as well. With changed panellines/ fastners/ aero around the bottom which not was flat by the way/ front intake /rear diffuser and so on - so you are in for a major job I would like to see finished!

Best regards

Flemming
flhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:52 AM   #3
malscar
AF Enthusiast

malscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #4
flhansen
AF Regular

Hi

The Mercs in the link from f1technical net are from 1994 - not 1996.

Flemming
flhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
Johan_SWE
AF Regular

Thanks for the input.

I know that this is gonna be a big challenge, but the changes to the front, the air intakes to the brakes, the rear wheel arches and the diffuser are manageable.

Gonna go through my personal photos and papers I saved from that era.
Fingers crossed

/J.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
Johan_SWE
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhansen View Post
Hi

That era was in the pre internet era, so there's not a lot around of period photos. I would suggest to look for the book 'Tourenwagen Story 1996' that has some photos in it. There are various books about the DTM to be found, but the further away that season are most are just race pics which has not a lot of use.

But beware that the 94 and 96 Merc's are VERY different animals that looks alike but aren't. Apart from the monocoque interior that owes more to the later DTM series rather than the almost standard early chassis, the body is different as well. With changed panellines/ fastners/ aero around the bottom which not was flat by the way/ front intake /rear diffuser and so on - so you are in for a major job I would like to see finished!

Best regards

Flemming
Yeah, the 1996 version was extremely different from all other C-Class racers.
The three section design where front and rear parts were possible to change between the races, the weights that moved in the rear of the car to better balance it during braking / acceleration, the seat position and cockpit layout, the paddle style gearbox...

As the base I have a special version of the Tamiya Sonax Tabac car from 1994 that was sold in Germany with decals for the Alexander "Sandy" Grau car with Warsteiner as the main sponsor.

/J.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling