Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Intrepid
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
ksroadking
AF Newbie

Cool 96 Intrepid rack and pinion steering mount bushings

We just changed the steering mount bushings on a 1996 Dodge Intrepid. They are on driver's side where the column comes out of the fire wall and connects to the rack and pinion mechanism. Two 15 MM bolts need to be removed. Then the rack needs to be braced up alowing room to knock the bushings out the bottom. The metal part of the bushings were tight and a large screwdriver had to be used to cut/knock them out. The rear bushing was the hardest to reach. The new bushings had to be installed from the bottom up, reverse of removal. When tightening the bolts the rack mount wouldn't go completely down over the new bushings without using an open end wrench which allowed the bolts to draw the bushing up completely into the hole. I found the bushings at an O'Reilly's. They were $29.99 for the pair. I kept getting places trying to sell me the tie-rod end bushings which are a common problem, but not what I needed in this case. The problem was the steeirng wheel had a lot of slack in it and the steering wheel turned a lot just to move a little. I was having trouble finding any discussions reference this so decided to post this in case it may help others.
ksroadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
wabrown06
AF Newbie

Re: 96 Intrepid rack and pinion steering mount bushings

Was this a very hard fix? Also, mine will turn just fine with very slight turns but when I turn to the right and and want to make a turn more than slightly I have to turn it about an extra ten degrees or so for it to turn any further and then after the turn the wheel is no longer in the correct position until I make a left hand turn and then it will be correct.
wabrown06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:39 AM   #3
ksroadking
AF Newbie

Re: 96 Intrepid rack and pinion steering mount bushings

My neighbor is a mechanic and he headed up the repair. Otherwise I couldn't have done it. It was difficult.
ksroadking is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
bushings , intrepid , mount , steering
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Intrepid