Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
tigerstyle64
AF Newbie

A Few problems not really related to each other HELP

I have a 2002 ram 1500 pickup with a 4.7L V8 with roughly 180k miles

first problem is when it is cold out and I start coming to a stop the RPMs drop below 500 and sometimes it kills the car but only when it is cold out but I have noticed it at around 40F now so it seems to be getting worse. fix I have tried was about a year ago I had somebody tell me my battery was to small for the truck and it was but that was the reason for the problem in the cold replaced the battery and it seemed to fix the problem but I put another battery in it this fall and problem seems to start up again and I went to the auto part shop and got the best battery that would fit in the truck so it is big enough any thoughts on this.

Second problem if with the transmission when it is super cold out like 15 or less I get a engine light on I go and get the diagnostic and it says a transmission pressure sensor but it soon goes away when the temp warms up outside later that day if this something to worry about or is it a common glich

Third problem is something I have just noticed this last couple of week but I fear it has been going along a bit longer is I am having an oil leak of about 1 qt per tank of gas and I know some oil leak is to be expected of a vehicle with the age and miles of mine but that is a bit extreme it is not pouring out but that is a lot when this summer I was tracking the oil loss of about 1 to 2 qts in a oil change cycle not per tank of gas where would oil like this be likely to be seeping from since oil leaking like that is unlikely for me to just look and see since I don't have a shop or a lift to put it up on and I live down a dirt road that is often muddy and leaves my engine compartment less than clean to see a drip

I would like to thank you for any advise or words of wisdom you might share with me
tigerstyle64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Re: A Few problems not really related to each other HELP

Hi tigerstyle64,
I believe your idle while stopping is due to the Idle Air Control Valve pintle valve sticking.
Removing and cleaning it with carburetor cleaner should free the pintle valve.

The cold transmission fluid is difficult to get through the transmission filter but after it warms and thins out a little, it can get through the filter easier.....I'd get a transmission fluid and filter change. Don't go for the "transmission flush" routine, replace the filter & fluid. The transmission filter is a paper filter, like your air filter and oil filter. They all must be replaced when they get dirty and clogged. Most general auto repair shops can handle that for you.
The same shop that does your transmission fluid & filter change can look for your oil leak too.

Vehicles have to maintained to get a good service life from them.

Here's a downloadable service manual if you want to check into doing the work yourself,

Here's a downloadable 2001 service manual.
The download is kinda slow but worth the wait.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42304/2001DodgeRam.pdf

"Cornbread Red", 2001 Dodge 2500,4X4,HO Cummins Diesel,QC,SWB,6spd.,Banks boost&pyro,US Gage fuel press.,Edge Drag Comp,4"exh.,cowl hood, bhaf, black Holley pump, 140gph...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, kevlar/ceramic single disc clutch, cheapo fuel cooler, 8x.010" vco injector nozzles, Cat turbo 62-65-.70A/R, 497hp 1089 tq 8/25/14

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
tigerstyle64
AF Newbie

Re: A Few problems not really related to each other HELP

thank you for your reply it helps
tigerstyle64 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10