Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 09:30 PM   #151
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to v10_viper
Viper SRT-10 Specs

I found them!! they are out finally!

Price: $79,995
Miles Per Gallon: 10/20 mpg
Curb Weight: 3380 lbs
Layout: Front-Engine/RWD
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual Engine
Type: V10
Displacement: 8277 cc
Horsepower: 500 bhp @ 5600 rpm
Torque: 525 lb-ft @ 4600 rpm
Redline: 6000 rpm
Performance
0-60 mph: 3.8 sec
0-100 mph: 8.9 sec
Quarter Mile: 11.9 sec @ 121 mph
Skidpad: 1.15g
Top Speed: 190+ mph
Braking, 60-0 mph: under 100 ft
Slalom Speed: 70.0 mph

Auburn Hills, Mich., Jan 18, 2002 -

The Dodge Viper has always been more than just a car. To enthusiasts, it represents the purest expression of free-spirited driving. For a re-emerging Chrysler Corporation, it heralded a new way of doing business, taking chances and stepping over the edge. To the industry, it served as a wake-up call that the Dodge brand would be the catalyst for change in automotive design throughout the 1990s.

Beneath its iconic imagery, the Dodge Viper has backed up its reputation with cold, hard numbers ? horsepower, torque, 0-60 mph, 1/4-mile, slalom, skid pad and top speed. Unlike the pseudo-sports cars, at Dodge, slick copy has never been a replacement for raw performance.

So when it came to writing the third chapter in the remarkable story of America's ultimate sports car, Dodge once again defied convention and built the all-new 2003 Viper lighter, faster and more powerful than ever.

This chapter's subhead echoes the enthusiast mantra:

There's No Replacement for Cubic Displacement

"When we introduced the first Viper, we set the principles that would forever define the car -- obscene performance, outrageous design and ultimate driver enjoyment," said Jim Julow, Vice President, Dodge Global Brand Center. "With this next chapter, we've stayed true to those principles in creating the next version of the ultimate American sports car."

The next chapter of Viper takes extreme performance further than Dodge has ever taken it before, reaching a Holy Grail of sorts for those worshiping the religion of extreme automotive performance. The Dodge Viper will become the only production car in the world to develop at least 500 horsepower, 500 lb.-ft of torque and feature an engine with more than 500 cubic-inches of displacement.

"When you want to increase the capability of a high-performance car, there are three basic areas you can change: increase the power, reduce the weight or improve the handling," said Larry Lyons, Vice President, Small Car Platform Engineering for DaimlerChrysler. "For the new Viper, we did all three."

The Viper once again underscores the core philosophies of the Dodge brand by being the ultimate automotive icon for extreme performance and extreme attitude.

500/500/500 Performance

Bring back the big blocks!

With performance upgrades that will increase its displacement from 488 to 505 cu. in. and push its V-10 power output to a whopping 500 horsepower and 500 lb.-ft. of torque, Viper has no equal on the road.

The 8.3-liter all-aluminum big-block engine drives wide 19-inch rear wheels and anchors a performance package that eschews technical gimmickry in favor of traditional engineering virtues. The spirit of America's muscle cars lives within the Dodge Viper.

Race-bred Chassis

In creating the next chapter of Dodge Viper, the mission was to enhance its unfiltered blend of performance.

Viper retains a traditional front-engine, rear-wheel drive layout with six-speed manual transmission. The commitment was made early on to use a racing-style chassis including fully independent four-wheel suspension, wide tires and wheels for maximum grip and massive brakes for stopping power.

A new version of the Viper's four-wheel anti-lock disc brake system, originally introduced for the 2001 model year, will be enhanced on this next-generation car.

Body by Dodge

With styling cues derived from the Dodge Viper GTS/R concept car first shown at the 2000 North American International Auto Show, the all-new 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 convertible packs an outrageous new design into a low-slung roadster shell.

Lowered hood lines, swept-back fenders and deep-cut side scallops take their cues from the classic original, yet bring the Viper into the 21st century. Improved aerodynamics and a partial undertray add functional performance enhancements.

Viper's visceral lines speak volumes of the passion that Dodge designers bring to their craft. The new Viper gives enthusiasts an American sports car that remains true to the credo of pure performance.

Interior Fits Drivers Like a Glove

The next chapter of Dodge Viper continues to set the definition of extreme, yet features greater levels of refinement and finish.

Viper retains its essence -- its Viperness --while taking natural steps forward. A race-derived two-seat cockpit looks over a highly functional instrument panel with center-mounted tachometer and a 220 mile-per-hour speedometer, giving a clue as to the production car's top-speed potential. A traditional push-button starter refires old-time sports car memories.

There's no mistaking that the driver is in command at Viper's helm. Viper is the automotive equivalent of a jet fighter, and at the pilot's control, launches off the line like a Hornet off a carrier catapult.

Viper Redefines the Convertible

The new Viper has a new roofline profile with an easy-to-operate drop top. The Dodge Viper was initially introduced with a full-width sport bar that brought open-air motoring to the Dodge lineup. The second chapter of Viper history was written when an all-new GTS Coupe was added in 1996, and added classic gran tourismo styling to match the car's prodigious performance capabilities.

The new Viper's bi-fold clamshell top with single center latch now makes it a true convertible, and harks back to a time when sports cars delivered serious performance capabilities and stood for untamed freedom.

True to the Mission

Team Viper set out five goals in creating the next generation car:

* Preserve Viper's standing as the ultimate American sports car
* Build a true convertible version that provides better convenience yet retains the original roadster feel
* Refine the original shape without losing it's "outrageous design"
* Raise the benchmark for "unmatched performance"
* Maintain the back-to-basics approach from the original Viper

"With its dramatic styling, 500/500/500 performance and modern racing legacy, the Dodge Viper is unlike any other car on the road and expresses a style and attitude only Dodge could deliver," Julow said. "Viper has earned the title of Ultimate American Sports Car."

The Dodge Viper will go on sale in September 2002 as a 2003 model. It will be built at DaimlerChrysler's Conner Avenue Assembly Plant in Detroit, Michigan.

Auburn Hills, Jul 17, 2002 -

Chrysler Group today announced pricing for the all-new 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 convertible. The 500 horsepower, 525 lb.-ft of torque, 505 cu. in. V-10 super car will carry a Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $79,995 (plus $800 destination) when it begins arriving in dealerships around the first of October, 2002.

Featuring more than 100 updates and improvements versus its predecessor, the 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 has been sold out since January, months before the first cars begin arriving in dealerships. A choice of colors -- Viper red, silver or black -- is the only decision owners will need to make; there is no optional equipment on the car. Prices for 2002 models ranged from $71,725 for the RT-10 Roadster to $82,225 for the GTS ACR Coupe (not including $775 destination).

The 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 represents the third chapter in the vaunted history of the icon, following the original 1992 Viper RT/10 roadster and the 1996 Viper GTS coupe.

"With the 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10, we've remained true to the original Viper mission," said Darryl Jackson, Vice President, Dodge Marketing. "We've created -- elevated, actually -- the ultimate American sports car. Dodge engineers have clearly improved and refined the Viper, all the while keeping its outrageous design and road presence -- its 'Viperness.'"

In developing the new Viper, Dodge engineers sought feedback from key constituencies -- particularly owners -- on what the 2003 version should be. The replies included more horsepower, bigger brakes, lighter weight, true convertible top operation, a dead pedal and greater interior comfort. The new Viper SRT-10 delivers all, and a lot more, preserving its true American sports car heritage along the way.

2003 DODGE VIPER SRT-10 TECHNICAL DETAILS

The 2003 SRT-10 retains Viper's front-engine, rear-wheel drive, two-seat layout. A true convertible model replaces roadster and coupe offerings. Its wheelbase has been lengthened 2.6 inches to accommodate convertible top stowage.

Dramatic styling cues include lowered hood lines, swept-back fenders and deep-cut side scallops, reminiscent of the original, yet giving the Viper a fresh look. Inside, from a race-derived, two-seat cockpit, the driver looks over a highly functional instrument panel with a center-mounted tachometer and a 220-mph speedometer. A traditional pushbutton starter refires old-time sports car memories.

The Viper V-10 engine retains the basic architecture of its predecessor, but otherwise it is virtually all new -- and more powerful than ever. A new bored and stroked engine block increases the Viper's displacement from 488 to 505 cu. in. and sends its power output to 500, with 525 lb.-ft. of torque -- 90 percent of which is delivered between 1500 and 5600 rpm.

Viper's four-wheel independent aluminum suspension has been revised to handling characteristics, and a new version of Viper's four-wheel anti-lock disc brake system is enhanced for world-class stopping performance. The new Viper rides on P275/35ZR18 front and P345/30ZR19 rear black sidewall Michelin zero pressure (ZP) tires, with low-pressure sensors in the valve stems.

Reduced weight -- along with increased power -- is one of the two most effective means by which a car's performance can be enhanced. Overall, the SRT-10 weighs approximately 100 pounds less than previous models. Numerous weight-saving measures were taken, including use of a one-piece magnesium front of dash, a cast magnesium instrument panel substructure, and aluminum bodied shock absorbers.

Performance targets for the 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 include a 0-60 mph time of less than four seconds, an estimated top speed of 190 mph, 60-0 mph braking in less than 100 feet, 0-100-0 mph in about 13 seconds, and 1.15g lateral acceleration.

Engineered by Chrysler Group's Performance Vehicle Operations (PVO), the 2003 Viper is the first Dodge to carry the SRT (for Street and Racing Technology) badge. The Dodge SRT lineup will represent some of the most outrageous products ever developed by DaimlerChrysler, and SRT-branded vehicles will be the fastest cars in their segment. Additional SRT vehicles destined for production within the next calendar year include Dodge SRT-4 and the Dodge Ram SRT-10.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:44 PM   #152
usarag24
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to usarag24
After reading those spec's I remember why the Dodge Viper is one of the ultimate sports car ever created!! I can't wait to own one!!!
Old 10-03-2002, 08:47 AM   #153
Aspen79_400
AF Newbie

Thumbs up thats why

And some people still thinking the mustangs and corvettes are better than a pure race car like Viper...

V8 5.0L or 5.7L vs v10 8L...

stock barbie chasis vs race proven space frame???

What a fool

Please don't compare, this is the American Sports Car, and is the ONLY ONE who can eat ferraris and porsches for breakfast!
Old 10-05-2002, 10:39 AM   #154
crayzayjay
CFA

Quote:
Please don't compare, this is the American Sports Car, and is the ONLY ONE who can eat ferraris and porsches for breakfast!
Dont make me laugh... The Viper is too cumbersome and its handling and poise comes nowhere near that of any Ferrari or Porsche built in the last 10 years. In a straight line it will leave most cars behind but if thats what matters to its owner, then he's truly a 1-dimensional fool.
Whats an 8l engine, for christ's sake?!?!?! Talk about overdoing it
Old 10-05-2002, 11:59 AM   #155
DeViL
AF Enthusiast

hm

Say what you want about the first Viper, but you can't really be making assumptions about this new one right now. It hasn't had much if any, chances to compete against other brands of cars.
Old 10-06-2002, 02:06 PM   #156
crayzayjay
CFA

I was referring mainly to the old Viper, though you make a fair point, i'll give the new one time and opportunities to prove itself.
The capacity excess comment still stands though. If they insist on making it 8l+, i want 600bhp at the very very least...

just my penny's worth
Old 10-06-2002, 04:28 PM   #157
DeViL
AF Enthusiast

well

I imagine some day you might see a Viper come stock with 600 hp. 500 horsepower is a lot from the factory. Hehe companies just keep going up and up in power its great. They don't even care about getting carried away. It makes me feel like something is going to happen one day, and we're going to end up with 120 hp V8's and shit like you saw in the 70's and early 80's.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:58 PM   #158
crayzayjay
CFA

500 bhp is a lot, but 8l is major excess... that was my point....

leaving all that behind, i sure as hell hope i will never see a company offer a 120bhp V8! That's atrocious! Even for a V6 120bhp is nothing... Im curious, what cars had such underpowered large engines?
Old 10-07-2002, 02:35 PM   #159
DeViL
AF Enthusiast

Leaving all of what behind? Look technology changed quite a bit because of government regulations. The engines were forced to run on low octane gas instead of 100+ octane the old carb. cars used to be able to run on. Cars were equiped with catalytic converters to prevent less smog and protect the environment. Those converters make you lose power quite a bit. Lots has changed, and to get 500 horsepower and still be able to run on 96 octane, thats amazing.

Take a look at this. It's not 120 hp but its bad enough for a 350 Cubic Inch V8.

Displacement- 350 cubic inch V-8
Compression Ratio- 8.2 to 1
Horsepower- 190
Torque lbs-ft- 280
Carburetor- 4 barrel

Guess what car this was? A 1981 Corvette. A Corvette with 190 horsepower, now how pathetic is that? And it's a V8. My truck has close to the amount of power this Corvette is pushing.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:40 AM   #160
chopstick
AF Newbie

Red face

I agree the new viper doesn't look bad at all but i will choose the old one if i have enough money to get one. for me i think the old one is better, much better
Old 11-13-2002, 08:56 AM   #161
BTJuggalo
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to BTJuggalo
I definately have to agree with chopstick on that although i do think that the 2001-2002 viper look beautiful
Old 11-15-2002, 02:09 PM   #162
crayzayjay
CFA

Ditto chopstick
Old 11-26-2002, 10:51 AM   #163
Menu dei Motori
Click here

Send a message via ICQ to Menu dei Motori Send a message via AIM to Menu dei Motori Send a message via MSN to Menu dei Motori
Re: Re: eck!

Quote:
Originally posted by Viper 10

Klueless:

The Germans do EVERYTHING better, right? Yeah right, the Germans completely F_cked up

that i didn´t hear
Old 11-26-2002, 10:53 AM   #164
Menu dei Motori
Click here

Send a message via ICQ to Menu dei Motori Send a message via AIM to Menu dei Motori Send a message via MSN to Menu dei Motori
sorry i was so angry that i forgot to say...
the viper is a absolute great supercar
i love it! for me it´s the best american supercar!
Old 11-26-2002, 01:13 PM   #165
crayzayjay
CFA

True. It doesnt have much competition though

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster