Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
LillyMae
AF Newbie

1989 Cavalier Z24 - Replacement Air Cleaner INtake Duct

The air cleaner intake duct is no longer available for my 1989 cavalier Z24. The existing is rubber. Is their a replacement like perhaps the steel pipe versions with an air filter on the end??? The original rubber (forty five degree piece that goes from the engine to an air filter canister)....
LillyMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:34 PM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: 1989 Cavalier Z24 - Replacement Air Cleaner INtake Duct

You'll probably have to fabricate something. I'm surprised to see a Cavalier that old still on the road and I bet GM and every company that makes parts for them are surprised too. They stop making parts for certain cars when they notice that most models are dead and therefore, replacement parts aren't selling.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #3
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

You could definitely fabricate something up. I made my own intake for my Grand Prix.

I probably spend around $50 (got the filter for free), but I bought some quality couplers and polished intake pipe. You could probably find something and fab something up for $20 then get your filter.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:25 AM   #4
Loopawagon
AF Newbie

You can find an NOS replacement intake hose at gmpartsgiant.com for $35 plus shipping. I purchased one and very happy with the condition.
Loopawagon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Loopawagon For This Useful Post:
LillyMae (10-16-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 05:39 AM   #5
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
You could definitely fabricate something up. I made my own intake for my Grand Prix.

I probably spend around $50 (got the filter for free), but I bought some quality couplers and polished intake pipe. You could probably find something and fab something up for $20 then get your filter.
There you go, and if you want to go even further with it, you could do a cold air intake. The principles of a cold air intake are pretty simple. All you really have to do is run the intake pipe as far away from the heat created by the engine as possible and have the end of it set up so the filter won't get wet if you're driving in the rain and it's protected from random road debris (pebbles, dirt, sand, etc.) so the filter doesn't wind up with holes in it.
BTW stealthee, well done with that intake. It looks like something that would sell on an aftermarket performance parts site as a short ram intake for at least 3x what it cost you to make it.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #6
LillyMae
AF Newbie

I found the part at a GM dealer though it is discontinued. I dealt with a company called carid who had a short tailpipe with a filter at the end but then wanted $186.00 for it and it included the small rubber hose that connected to the cooling fan. Trouble is they couldn't answer simple questions and I couldn't understand them because of cultural differences.

There was no connector for the one end that went to the cooling fan and no one could tell me what to do with the two wire connector that went to the original air filter can. They lacked tech support in a huge way. The original lasted for 25 years so I should be alright for awhile. What happened is that the rubber in the area of the connecting 1/2" pipe tore and thus the engine stalled frequently. A pretty dumb idea by Chevrolet to make it from rubber.

If anyone can suggest a company who makes the steel unit for a Z24 please let me know and thank you to all why replied....
LillyMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:13 PM   #7
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Take some measurements and make your own. I bought all my parts for the one I pictured at siliconeintakes.com
Old 10-07-2019, 08:00 AM   #8
Phil_Mccracken
AF Newbie

I have a 1990 2.2 4 cylinder with the same rubber intake. It's kinda flimsy and I still have the donut filter that sits on top. I'd like to replace the whole thing for better air flow at some point. I have lots of work to do on the whole car. I'm basically doing a restoration with how many problems it has. The old owners didn't give it any love.
Phil_Mccracken is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier