Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
Realbadgroove
AF Newbie

1986 300zx Turbo has not been started in 12 years

I am the proud owner of a Cherry 86 Turbo, the only problem is it has not been started in 12 years My dad owns the car and some time ago the timing slipped and he just stopped driving it. Basically it just needs a new timing belt...... stupid I know but I finally talked him into letting me have the car. So the big question is will it run and what do I need to do to start it. 12 years is a long time..... This will be an on going project but I would like to have a running car to start with. Please any help would be awesome If it was a clunker in bad shape I would not bother but the car only has 56k on it and has perfect body, paint and interior.
Realbadgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1986 300zx Turbo has not been started in 12 years

Start with timing belt, tensioner, and fresh gas, as well as a tune up. The VG30ET is an interference motor, so beware that the timing slip may have damaged valves. I'd also highly recommend changing the oil and coolant before starting the engine. Many other things could have deteriorated over the past decade (sensors, connections, gaskets, etc), but you have to correct what you know to be wrong before you can identify any other problems. Good luck and keep us up to date!
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
ShadeTreeJack
AF Newbie

Re: 1986 300zx Turbo has not been started in 12 years

I would be interested in hearing how things went for you. I bought an 86 that had been sitting for about 8 years. Did a tune up, oil change fresh gas. Had to remove the gas tank and clean it out because the rust kept plugging the fuel filter. Drobe it for 18 months - about 30k miles. I made the mistake of driving past 120k miles without replacing the timing belt. last week the timing belt broke. I removed the intake upper and lower tonight. I can see seriously bent valves. hopefully remove the exhaust and heads later this week so I can see if the pistons are damaged.
ShadeTreeJack is offline   Reply With Quote