Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 11:48 AM   #1
natcc99
AF Fanatic

What do you know about a KILL SWITCH?!?!?!

Hello

As some of you might know from the accord forum, my car was ALMOST stolen!
I was lucky and they didn't take my car.

They tried to go through my hood to cut the hood cable in order to kill my alarm.

Right now, I have an Alpine Alarm and The Club as my security.

I was thinking about a KILL SWITCH.
My friend knows about it and he suggested to place one for the Fuel Line. Thus, even though they might get into the car, they can never drive away with it.....even after they try to hot wire it.

Another person told me to put hood pins, but I don't think that is a good idea since it will make my car look funny.

What do you think!??!!?
What type of Kill Switch do you have or suggest?!?!?!
What do you suggest I do to secure my car better?!?!?!

THANKS

http://www.sounddomain.com/id/natcc99
natcc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 03:11 PM   #2
xivera
AF Enthusiast

Your first mod = HELMS MANUAL!!!
xivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 11:57 PM   #3
RiceRocket
AF Enthusiast

i had a starter kill switch on my other car and they were able to bypass it and steal the car anyways (never found it again).

i've heard of fuel pump kill switch which totally disables the fuel pump or some other part of your vehicle.

they also have engine kill which they said is also effective.

AF TOFU CREW MEMBER #03 - First Rule of Tofu Crew is You don't talk about the Tofu Crew!
RiceRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 12:10 AM   #4
ACCORDLVR
AF Newbie

the problem with kill switches is that most real car theives know what to look for. they can find the switch too. the bottom line is that the more preventive steps (security) you take, the longer it'll take the theif. hopefully he'll get discouraged or (gasp) realize it's not worth it and leave it alone. either way, the longer it takes the theif, the more time you have to load your gun. but, realistically, if a good theif wants your car bad enough, they'll get it sooner or later.

unqualified expert - lost two civics 98 ex 2 dr and 96 hatch to shit head theives.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:15 AM   #5
90CRXZCSi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to 90CRXZCSi Send a message via Yahoo to 90CRXZCSi
If your gonna put in a switch, obviously put it somewhere where the thief is to never find it. Think of even the dumbest place to put it and the thief might not ever think of that.
90CRXZCSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 12:25 PM   #6
RiceRocket
AF Enthusiast

Unhappy

They'll just tow your car away. get one of those paging systems or lo jack...

you're paged when someone messes with your car, so you can go out and smack the hell out of him

AF TOFU CREW MEMBER #03 - First Rule of Tofu Crew is You don't talk about the Tofu Crew!
Old 02-06-2002, 09:08 PM   #7
natcc99
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by RiceRocket

you're paged when someone messes with your car, so you can go out and smack the hell out of him

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
LOL

I can just imagine myself **SMACKING** him with the back of my hand.
HEHEHEHEHEHE

or better yet, get a white glove and do it.
then challenge him to a duel

i'm probably going to a put a kill switch.
i just need to find an accurate wiring diagram for my car.
natcc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 09:32 AM   #8
Tireburner
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by ACCORDLVR
the problem with kill switches is that most real car theives know what to look for. they can find the switch too. the bottom line is that the more preventive steps (security) you take, the longer it'll take the theif. hopefully he'll get discouraged or (gasp) realize it's not worth it and leave it alone. either way, the longer it takes the theif, the more time you have to load your gun. but, realistically, if a good theif wants your car bad enough, they'll get it sooner or later.

unqualified expert - lost two civics 98 ex 2 dr and 96 hatch to shit head theives.
All very true statements.

A properly installed kill switch can be done in a fashion that even another professional installer would have a very hard time locating it.

Perfect example: I spent over an hour trying to locate a fuel cut off on a 96 Mustang that I was removing the alarm etc.. for an insurance company on a repo deal. Normally I would have located this in less than 2 minutes, but the installer took a lot of care in running wires in factory looms, and hiding the switch. I was ready to run a new wire when I finally came across his.

Bottom line:
Anything you can do to slow a thief down, improves chances of your vehicle being where you parked it when you get back...

but.

nothing stops a tow truck!!
Old 02-11-2002, 10:09 AM   #9
RiceRocket
AF Enthusiast

are most of these common theives now have tow trucks too??? this just makes it all the scarier... my question is how do they get a hold of tow trucks... don't they need to have permits to have one or do they just steal that too....

and most of the time they steal your car at your apartment at 2AM in the morning so it's almost already too late when you find out about your car being stolen 4 hours later. They probably have it in parts.

Old 02-11-2002, 10:14 AM   #10
Tireburner
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by RiceRocket
are most of these common theives now have tow trucks too??? this just makes it all the scarier... my question is how do they get a hold of tow trucks... don't they need to have permits to have one or do they just steal that too....
No, only the big outfits will have tow trucks.. It's just kinda hard to be inconspicuous when towing a vehicle with the alarm screaming through the neighborhood at 2am!! You will get reported to the cops, and when you get pulled over, you better have repo orders, otherwise .......... Busted!!
Old 02-11-2002, 11:06 AM   #11
RiceRocket
AF Enthusiast

a friend of a friend of mine had their cars towed right out of their garage at noon! good thing he was home at that moment when the thieves came and he ran after them and they left the car and just ran off in their tow truck... this was in texas.

Old 02-11-2002, 11:56 AM   #12
j.fuggi
AF Enthusiast

fuck thieves

» Supercharged 2006 Honda Civic Si Coupe
» Info | Teaser Video | Dyno Video | Dyno Graph
j.fuggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:36 AM   #13
BMUGGZ
AF Newbie

Re: What do you know about a KILL SWITCH?!?!?!

I installed and ignition kill switch into my 1976 corolla on the wire from the coil to the dizzy(only because I was bored one-day), and the night after I got some chrome 17's on it some bugger tried stealing it, they rolled it out of my driveway and even had a spare rotor and coil lead (which I had taken) but couldn't get it started and ended up leaving it on the side of the road about three houses down.
I believe the trick is to find a spot to put your switch that you can't see easily or at all if you have a good look up under your dash, even with a torch (also i'd recommend a black switch, not chrome or coloured) if you mount it there. Or put it in the most rediculous spot you can think of that noone else would ever dream of looking. But also easy for you to get 2.
Mine was up in the dash and I could get to it easily yet when I was camping at New Years and broke my leg ending up in hospital, my mate had to drive it home for me and even after giving him simple instructions on how to find it he had a hell of a time locating it (ended up finding it after a few hours and me explaining it to him three times)
Also if a "professional" car thief want's your car there is virtually nothing you can do to stop them, short of sitting in your car 24/7 with a shotgun.
BMUGGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #14
ImportBuilder
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to ImportBuilder Send a message via Yahoo to ImportBuilder

About two weeks ago, I was laying in bed when I heard my pager making some noises I'd never heard before. I run outside in jeans, no shirt or shoes to see a tow truck trying to hook up to my car. Turns out the payment I had made earlier that week got screwed up and they sent my car to repo. If it werent for that alarm, I woulda been hosed. Hornet 564T ftw
2x Majestic MCS6923BC
4 AWG Power/Ground
1x Lightning Audio STRIKE S4.15.VC2
1x Lightning Audio STRIKE 24.500.1
Dynamat Xtreme in trunk
Coming Soon:
New SPL Setup
ImportBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:26 PM   #15
sickcallawayc12
AF Enthusiast

What was the purpose of resurrecting this thread? Isn't that against the rules?
PIAA Super Plasmas GT-X bulbs
PIAA Xtreme White bulbs
K & N drop-in filter

"Melo" and "AI". Enough said.
sickcallawayc12 is offline   Reply With Quote