Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
jrlugo45
AF Newbie

jl audio amp issues.

I just inatalled a jl audio j2500.1 mono amp to power my two mtx jackhammer jh55 12's it powers the subs just fine i am useing 4ga power and ground as the amp calls for the amp also calls for a 60amp fuse and at first i was using a 100amp and the amp went into protect mode and was extremely hot., was the fuse the problem? i installed a 60 amp fuse and it has not gone into protect mode agian but the amp still gets quite hot but not extremely hot i can still handle to touch it. If it helps at all the subs are wired at 2ohms and the amp is 500watts rms @ 2ohms. I get very clean crisp hard bass im just worried about the amp getting too hott on a long trip. Thanks for any advice. following my locol atero shops advice the bass boost is set at 1/4, 80hrz and the gain is at 3/4
Old 09-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
Re: jl audio amp issues.

sounds like you need to put a fan on the amp, and you really should be concerned about an amp that gets really hot - you can damage it that way
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
jrlugo45
AF Newbie

Alright, i just installed a second amp today to run my interior speakers, everything seems to be in order, i banged it real hard for a good hour today and check how hot the jl amp was getting and it was cool to the touch, for my components i am running a jensen 300 watt that i had laying around the house and it stayed cool to the touch also. What type of fan do you recomend for the jl amp? i have several extra cpu fans around the house can i wire one of these to work??? thank you.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
PaulD
Audio Guy

were you runninmg your interior speakers off of the JL too ? A computer fan will be fine, install it to blow accross the top of the amp.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
jrlugo45
AF Newbie

No i was not useing the jl amp to power interior speakers. i just invested in new speakers and hooked up the little jensen to power them so i could actually hear vocals clearly because my bass from the jl and mtx's is crazy,lol. i will install a cpu fan asap. can i hook it up to the remote turn on???? thank you.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
PaulD
Audio Guy

I wouldn't, I would use the remote turnon to power a relay - then use the output of the realay to turn on everything in the trunk
Old 10-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
PaulD
Audio Guy

yes, the remote will turn the relay on - it will only draw a few hundred milliamps .. the real power will come from the same wire that's powering the amps. Look up bosch relay, it will explain how it works.