Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Neon | Plymouth Neon
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
HiLiter
AF Newbie

Angry 2000 Plymouth Neon; No Spark

I have a 2000 plymouth neon that is becoming a headache. The car broke down as I was accelerating to approximately 35 mph. Engine would not turn over. Checked for spark. Had spark in 2 of the 4 plugs. Changed Ignition coil pack, cam-shaft sensor , crankshaft sensor, put new plugs in. Still would not start. Checked timing belt to see if it was spinning. Sure enough, belt was not spinning. Changed timing belt, water pump, new alternator belt, new serpentine belt. Timing is set perfectly on the mark.
Car fired right up after that. Would not idle and was running rough. Check engine light suddenly came on, never did during the whole breakdown process. Anyway, checked the TPS and found some cables loose, due to jacking the engine up and down. Car is idling on it's own at this point but still rough. Checked spark plug gaps. So reset all at .035 and put them back in. Car wont turn over at all. Checked for spark in #1 and #4 and now getting no spark at all.
All fuses have been checked. Fuel relay fuse was changed as well. Fuel is getting to the injectors, not sure what a pressure gauge would say but it seems to be getting enough fuel. Head gasket, valves, rings...etc have all been checked and are fine. Getting 100% compression as well.

I am at a loss. I don't know where to go from here. Any advice or suggestions are highly anticipated. Thanks in advance.
HiLiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2000 Plymouth Neon; No Spark

HiLiter, do you have battery voltage leading up to the coil pack? If ignition system checks out problem could possibly be the PCM. Also make sure all your connections for cleanliness and tightness. Does this vehicle have an ASD relay?
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
HiLiter
AF Newbie

I will look at the 2 things you suggested. The throttlebody, the cam shaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor have all been cleaned of debris. All hoses have been checked, all cables have been checked for cleanliness.
I will let you know if the PCM or the ASD was the problem. Thanks for your response!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
HiLiter
AF Newbie

Oh! I have battery voltage up to the coil pack. Thats why this is so confusing. Something is stopping the complete circuit.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

HiLiter, let us know, I don't really have much knowledge of Neons and I like to learn about these problems.
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
Oldsmobile Doctor
AF Regular

A Neon has an interference engine. If the timing belt stops turning the cam it bends valves. Do a compression check to make sure. I also change the water pump and cam seal when I change a belt.
Oldsmobile Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
jacksonerica
AF Newbie

I have a 2000 plymouth neon and for the last couple of weeks the car would not start on some days and some days it wont. I took it to the shop and they said they couldnt find nothing wrong with it because it would start up every time he tried it. Then i took it to autozone and they ran a test on my battery and alternater and said it was fine. Also triple A said that it could be the starter while other people said the plug connected to the battery is loose but when i tightened it, the same problem occured again. Any suggestions?
jacksonerica is offline   Reply With Quote