Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
augr
AF Newbie

"no name" decks

Has anyone tested/used one of those decks that you find everywhere that is a non brand?

They run for less than $250 including shipping. Pretty tempting. I have stuck to Kenwood and Alpine all my life but that price is too tempting not to investigate.

Not interested in "opinions" just someone who has one and what you think about it?

Here's the feature list I've seen all over the place (they're all the same):

Bluetooth Link
Built in Ipod Control
Mp3/Mp4 Player
RDS Radio
TV
PIP
AUX (rear camera)
AMP
EQ Mode
USB
SD Card Port
Picture In Picture
Steel Wheel Control
GPS Route NAV
Wallpaper Switch
Car Logo Options

Free Genuine GPS Map
Free 2 GB SD Card
Digital HD Touch Screen:800*480
PiP Picture in Picture Function
45 Car Logos For Chosen
Free Genuine Sygic GPS Map
augr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
Re: "no name" decks

I honestly have no experience because I would not buy one, personally. I am on probably a dozen car audio forums of different types. Some of those guys have and most of the reports are the same. They all look similiar and the specs are all the same because they are all made in the same factory in China. Some of the guys have good luck, some have not - IF you have a problem, do not expect much from the service dept. It's pretty much just a gamble.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
augr
AF Newbie

Yea I though it would be a crap shoot. I think I might pick one up just to see what they're like... we'll see. If it's bad I'll sell it on Craig's List lol
Old 12-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD

let us know how it works out for you, not many online people really talk about it.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
augr
AF Newbie

If I do end up getting one I will definitely post a thorough review. I've never seen one in the wild they might be a myth!
Old 01-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
93CougarXR7SE
LunchboxBen

Send a message via AIM to 93CougarXR7SE Send a message via MSN to 93CougarXR7SE Send a message via Yahoo to 93CougarXR7SE

Well, ever since I was young we got crap products, cheap tools from the bargain bin, that sort of thing. I started working in appliance installation and had tools break on me or bend. I had a 5/16 socket bit my grandma bought in a tool kit and I was using it to level a SubZero fridge. I twisted the bit 360 degrees and it didn't break. I still have it with the swirl in the metal, just because I couldn't believe it happened and wanted to remember why I buy good tools now.

Don't kid yourself with cheap products, they are cheap and won't last long. Even if it does work, buttons fade and parts break. Like the cheap stereo in a work van. The faceplate falls out off alignment and you can't control it or see the station it's on. Sometimes you can prop it up with a card, otherwise you have to hold it up, in-place while you change the station or the volume. I can't even read the display. I just turn through the channels until I hear a station I like for the moment. It's horrible, even a used stereo would be better. Hoping they'll let me get a cheap stereo to put in there and they'll pay me back.
93CougarXR7SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
augr
AF Newbie

I couldn't bring myself to buy one. I ended up buying a Pioneer 2300DVD with an external Pioneer U220 navigation unit. For $250 (craigs list) I couldn't be happier!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
driveraven
AF Newbie

My personal opinion with car decks is that there is a reason the "better" brands charge more money. Like you said about sticking with Kenwood and Alpine your whole life, it's because they make great products and you know what your are getting into. I still think no one makes a better deck than Alpine. But that's just me.