Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Prism
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
Klondike Steadman
AF Newbie

Disonecting AC compressor in 1996 Geo Prism

The AC compressor in my 1996 Geo Prism has "seized" and they tell me a Pep Boys that the only way to fix it is to replace the entire unit for $1200. I hardly drive this vehicle and don't want to spend the money. I would be fine with no AC, but they say that there is no way to disconnect the unit or to "unsieze" the compressor. Is this true?
Thanks
Klondike Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #2
rockwood84
AF Enthusiast

Re: Disonecting AC compressor in 1996 Geo Prism

have not seen how the belts are on a '96.but you can see if it has one serpentine belt that pulls everything or if you have three belts.one for power steering,one for the alternator and one for the a/c compressor.the bearing has probably siezed on the a/c pulley and you can replace the bearing.but look at the way the belts run and if you have a seperate belt going to the a/c and don't want to fool with repairing the bearing the belt is probably burned with the pulley seizing up .so if you don't want to remove the other belts to get at the a/c belt just cut it off.just be sure it doesn't pull anything else.i have a '92 toyota [same thing] and mine has 3 belts.
rockwood84 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Prism