Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Nova | Prizm | Spectrum | Sprint
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
mejkwilliams
AF Newbie

Cool Cluth or Transmission?!?! 93 Prism

We just bought a 1993 Geo Prism 5spd. When we test drove it- it seemed the clutch had to come almost all the way up before you would move (all cars are different though, so we didn't think much about it). We put it on the road today and started driving it- While in gear if you push the gas hard it will slip- it's like the rpms are reving but you are no speeding up as you should (hope that makes sense). We checked some fluids, not sure how many we should check...also any tips on changing the clutch if that seems to be the problem- Thanks
mejkwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
zq3mpaj2
AF Newbie

Re: Cluth or Transmission?!?! 93 Prism

I'm having a similar issue with my 94 prizm lsi 1.6L manual trans. 166000 miles. I've begun to notice that when going uphill, if I push on the gas more than a little, the rpms go up more than the car is accelerating. It does not slip out of gear and there is no noticeable noise from the transmission. It just takes a few seconds for the speed to catch up with the rpms. I don't think this is normal. I've had other vehicles with manual trans. and never noticed this. Also I've have this car for 5 years and just recently this started occurring. Any help greatly appreciated. thanks
Chris
zq3mpaj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:37 AM   #3
kennyspackers
AF Newbie

Check the clutch resevoir, it is on the firewall drivers side if that is low or empty add some brake fluid. If not then it is the clutch, going uphill gaining RPMs but not speed is definetly the clutch.
kennyspackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
srt4killsu
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zq3mpaj2 View Post
I'm having a similar issue with my 94 prizm lsi 1.6L manual trans. 166000 miles. I've begun to notice that when going uphill, if I push on the gas more than a little, the rpms go up more than the car is accelerating. It does not slip out of gear and there is no noticeable noise from the transmission. It just takes a few seconds for the speed to catch up with the rpms. I don't think this is normal. I've had other vehicles with manual trans. and never noticed this. Also I've have this car for 5 years and just recently this started occurring. Any help greatly appreciated. thanks
Chris
It sound like the clutch is going out. Does it do it if you down shif to a lower gear? if not the cluch is going. Is there a smell after it does it like burnt brakes? If so your clutch is slipping
05 Srt4. Mods: ACT 6 Puck Clutch, Wisco pistons 8.8-1, Eagle rods, BC cams and valves, adj. cam gears, Race ported head, Ported intake mani, 55mm TB, 3" TBE, 255l pump 1100cc inj and Diablo sport. Oh yeah and Twin Turbos 603hp on meth inj. and pump 92
srt4killsu is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Nova | Prizm | Spectrum | Sprint