Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > PT Cruiser | PT Cruiser Convertible
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #1
dyankee1995
AF Newbie

Keyless Remote Problems

Hello to all!

I have a 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser and have a couple questions regarding the keyless remote entry vs. keyed entry:

1.) When we first bought the car, less than a year ago, we were only given a key with no key fob. Every time we opened the door using the key the alarm would sound and the only way to turn it off was to turn the car on. So, we invested in a keyless remote and that seemed to solve the problem. The alarm does not sound if the car is unlocked with the keyless remote vs. a key. What could be causing the car's alarm to sound with use of the key?

2.) Less than a year later, we are now having issues with the keyless remote. It doesn't work when it is parked in our driveway. I think that it might be due to the "smart" electric meter that was replaced recently. The car is parked under the carport next to the house where the smart meter is located. I drove the car to work with plans of taking the car to the locksmith to see if the 2 keyless remotes could be reprogrammed. When I got to work, both remotes are now in complete working order. So, is it possible for the keyless remote entry system to be affected by the smart meter?

Thanks in advance for any input or advice.
dyankee1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
Scotty89
AF Regular

Re: Keyless Remote Problems

When you use the key to unlock the doors and not the remote the car thinks it is being stolen. The car doesn't pick up the chip in the key until you put it into the ignition switch and turn it on. Unlike new vehicles, yours does not have any antennas to tell the car where the key is. The only way to keep this from happening when using the key to unlock is to manually lock each door. Using the lock switch will set it off.
For the second question, it is very possible it could be the meter, if the remote works everywhere else. I have herd several stories where someone will drive by a store with automatic doors and every time the doors open their doors will lock. There are so many different radio waves in the air and if you find a frequency close to your vehicle you can get some interference. The wonderful wireless world.
Scotty89 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
alarm , keyless , meter , remote , smart
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > PT Cruiser | PT Cruiser Convertible