Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 09:37 AM   #1
danielgast46
danielgast46

Alero

Hello I posted yesterday but I think it failed. So I will try again.
I have a 2002 with a 2.2 Eco tech . It has been a great car. The only issue it's ever had was the security failure but I replaced the ignition switch and fixed it. But the other day I drove to town and noticed that it was down shifting a few times more than normal.
We went to Walmart and shopped for a hour or so came out and started the car and it died right away
So I did the same thing when it wouldn't start over the security failure and it started but the Trac off light came on. And it was misfiring. I drove home and it was dogging down took forever to get up to 45mph but after that it would get to 60 mph really quick shift into overdrive and and start dogging down till it down shifted and zip back to 60 mph and start dogging down again continued this all the way home and it used a excessive amount of gas. About a quarter tank for a 9 Mile trip. Any help would be great.
I am on a fixed income so I hope to fix this myself.
danielgast46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:43 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Alero

Clogged cat can cause this, animal nesting clogs the air box, should scan for info also, lotta things can cause this.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
danielgast46
danielgast46

I will see if I can get a code scan done . I was told that some of the auto parts store do them. They just sell me the wrong parts and I don't trust them any more lol
Old 07-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
maxwedge
A990 racer

Autozone here in Ny does, if they find a code, just post back.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #5
danielgast46
danielgast46

Re: Alero,. follow up

Ok somebody came out to do the code scan and the car won't start it did but died right away. He did the scan but it got code PO101 pending and the scanner would not continue with the rest of the scan. Could this keep it from starting. Or is it a security failure again. Last time the security light would flash now it just stays on anyway O2 sensor is 80 bucks and the part for the ignition switch was around 50. But it's just the center part of the ignition switch with a new key.
Kind of wondering why we could not get a full scan.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Did you replace the lock cylinder and key, or lock cylinder, key, and PassLock module?

Security codes are "B" codes, and most scanners can't read "B" codes....

If the car starts and dies, but will start by doing the 10 minute relearn procedure, you have a Security problem...

Who did the previous work?

If a new PassLock module was used, your problem could be the harness connection at the BCM.....

Keep a can of carb cleaner handy....when vehicle won't start, spray carb cleaner into the intake...then attempt to start....if it starts and runs until the carb cleaner is used up, it's a fuel delivery problem....check for fuel pressure, if ok, check for injector pulse.....if none, then I would suspect the Security system is shutting down the injectors....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
danielgast46 (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #7
danielgast46
danielgast46

Just the lock cylinder and key is all that was changed. The security light use to flash, now it never goes out been on for 8 months . Ever since the lock cylinder and key was changed. They said it would eventually go off after starting the car. It only started once doing the 10 minute re learn. Now it doesn't
Old 07-09-2017, 05:11 PM   #8
danielgast46
danielgast46

Tried to say thank you but I got some oil on my phone made it go a little crazy. Sorry
Old 08-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #9
danielgast46
danielgast46

Well nothing is working for this car I think maybe should just cut my losses and drag it to the back field
Had to drive it in a heavy rain the last day it ran good. Maybe something got wet I don't know. It is what it is
Old 08-10-2017, 02:40 PM   #10
danielgast46
danielgast46

Today I tried to start it again and it back fired out the exhaust pipe so I still don't know what is wrong with it
Old 08-10-2017, 10:36 PM   #11
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Beginning to wonder if it jumped time.......

Need to check for spark and compression....
Old 08-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #12
danielgast46
danielgast46

Ok . I can do that .
thanks
Old 10-18-2017, 02:14 PM   #13
danielgast46
danielgast46

I have had the car scanned twice first time got a code for bad O2 sensor replaced it still will not start.
Had it scanned again got 0 codes cranks over but will not run .
Since I had bad key lock that used to make me do the 10 minutes reset from time to time which I replaced long time ago.
I came up with the idea of putting the old one back to see what happens
Nothing the security light stays on not flashing just stays on. It's been on for a year.but cr always started and ran fine.
So I have no codes to work with. I am considering selling as a parts car. But my wife really needs a car and I can't buy one. I live on 600$ month so I'm not going to find anything dependable on this budget.
What do I do
Old 10-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #14
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Did you try starting the car with carb cleaner?

Have someone crank the vehicle, and spray carb cleaner into the intake....don't have to open throttle, just spray on the throttle plate....

If the car starts and runs, as long as you spray, then you know you don't have an ignition problem(plugs, wires, coils, ICM, crank sensor, etc.), it means you have a fuel delivery problem.....

If fuel pressure is ok, then the injectors are not firing......you can verify this by disconnecting an injector harness, and attaching a noid light to the disconnected harness, and see if the noid light flashes while cranking....
You said you scanned for codes, but if you used a code reader or cheap scan tool, those tools do not read "B" codes........B2958 or B2960, might be set....those are Security codes......

Below is a picture of a disassembled view of the PassLock module on left, lock cylinder on right, and the parts for the tumblers.....

If only the lock cylinder was replaced, could have a bad PassLock module....if the module was also replaced and the proper reprogram procedure was followed, then you might have a problem with a connection at the BCM.....

Old 10-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #15
danielgast46
danielgast46

Thanks I will try starting fluid and let you know if it runs.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
alero , codes , light , loss , power
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero