Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Toronado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 06:21 PM   #1
canstanza2007
AF Newbie

Motor Swap

I have a 1973 455 Toronado engine with the front wheel drive transmission installed in my motor home, I am hoping that I can replace it with a 1975 455 engine... Is there any major differences, for example will the exhaust manifolds be the same so I can hook up to my existing exhaust system...
canstanza2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:19 AM   #2
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Re: Motor Swap

No major differences. The '75 would have been equipped with a catalytic converter, but the manifolds should be the same or similar.

The carb would have some differences, but they're functionally the same. Same with distributor calibration.

Ought to be an easy swap.
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #3
canstanza2007
AF Newbie

Thank you for the info, Schurkey, a few more questions, the replacement engine is supposed to have 56,000 miles on it, what should the compression be, what other things should I check before buying this engine? (Oil pressure ???) Also can I swap over the carburetor, is one better than the other?
canstanza2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #4
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by canstanza2007 View Post
Thank you for the info, Schurkey, a few more questions, the replacement engine is supposed to have 56,000 miles on it, what should the compression be, what other things should I check before buying this engine? (Oil pressure ???) Also can I swap over the carburetor, is one better than the other?
Mileage is less important than proper oil changes. Nobody seems to have done frequent oil changes.

Cranking compression will vary with cranking speed, altitude, and other factors. I like to see about 150 psi, but I probably wouldn't get that in Denver. As always, evenness among cylinders tells more than absolute numbers.

Oil pressure: higher is better within reason--and using proper oil. Jacking-up the oil pressure by using heavy oil is cheating. The most-telling condition is fully warmed-up, in gear. Under 10 psi is trouble, 10 to 20 psi is pretty normal. Back when those engines were new, 10W-40 oil was very common. Today, 10W-30 or 5W-30 would be more usual.

If I were buying a used engine, I'd do a cylinder balance test with a vacuum gauge connected to manifold vacuum. It's simple, quick, requires a minimum of tools, and provides useful information. A 12-volt test light and a vacuum gauge is all that's needed. Connect the vacuum gauge to manifold vacuum. Warm-up the engine, then slide the test light probe between the wire and the distributor cap boot. A bit of dielectric grease on the test light probe helps to slide the probe. Do NOT damage or pierce the plug wire. The test light will short out the cylinder when the spark is able to ground through the test light (the light will not glow.) Watch for even vacuum drop as each cylinder is shorted-out in turn. If you short a cylinder and the vacuum doesn't drop, that cylinder is weak or dead. If possible, short the two groups of "every other" cylinders. So if you can, short-out 1, 4, 6, 7 and 8, 3, 5, 2. This tests the carb idle mixture adjustment.
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
home , motor , oldsmobile , toronado
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Toronado