Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Ninety Eight
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 12:49 AM   #1
Transam76
AF Newbie

crank no start Olds 98

Ok, I'm going to accept the fact that this car has taught me a lot. Even the hard way. This car has 316000 miles on her and I'm really hoping she has more time in her.
Here's my story, a year or so ago, I accept the cold hard fact that my projects and daily-drivers could no longer share the same wallet. So, the projects went bye,bye and the cash I got for those projects went to the drivers.
One of the drivers is my 94 Olds 98. Shes been the best, I mean, the best car Ive ever owned. Too damn reliable! Wanted to keep her going by addressing some issues and do PM on her as well.
The issues were a couple of DTCs relating to the EGR, O2 and CMP. This is as a result of an aggressive visit to the car wash, with engine wash. Keeping in mind where I washed, I checked the wiring and noticed exposed wire. I did address that issue and took care of it.
Here's what I did to the Olds, I replaced the water pump, both upper and lower radiator hoses(still had the factory on it), replaced both the CMP & CKP. Replaced the timing set, CMP interrupter/magnet, replaced the timing cover gasket and crankshaft seal. Then, finally, replaced the oil pan.(it was bad). I didn't know much about the oiling system of the Buick 3800. Its a different beast compared to the typical, or what I'm familiar with. Which is the submerged oil pump.
Anyway, after getting the timing marks set, and everything back together, she fired up! Had no idea what was wrong, no oil pressure. She shut down but did not lock up. Apparently, if the PCM notices no oil pressure for awhile, the PCM lowers the fuel pressure, as a safety measure to the engine.(para-phrasing).
That was mid May of this year, since then, I've installed an oil pump repair kit from Rockauto. Since doing so, I've reestablished oil pressure and fuel pressure to the fuel rail. I do have spark on all 3 coil packs. However, after testing the injectors, all 6 have power but, cyl. 1, 3 & 5 do not have crank signal. Any ideas?
Transam76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: crank no start Olds 98

Anyway, after getting the timing marks set, and everything back together, she fired up! Had no idea what was wrong, no oil pressure. She shut down but did not lock up.

Did you "pack" the vanes of the oil pump? Prime the oil filter?

Apparently, if the PCM notices no oil pressure for awhile, the PCM lowers the fuel pressure, as a safety measure to the engine.(para-phrasing).

There is no such thing....the fuel pump is controlled by the PCM and by the Oil pressure switch, wired in parallel....The oil pressure switch is only a backup circuit, in case the f/p relay fails....thus, if the relay failed, after about a couple seconds, the oil pressure switch will close once oil pressure built up(all it takes is a couple PSI), and provide power to the f/p...If the oil pressure switch failed, the f/p relay would be still be powered by the PCM, as long as there was a reference signal from the ICM....

That was mid May of this year, since then, I've installed an oil pump repair kit from Rockauto. Since doing so, I've reestablished oil pressure and fuel pressure to the fuel rail. I do have spark on all 3 coil packs. However, after testing the injectors, all 6 have power but, cyl. 1, 3 & 5 do not have crank signal. Any ideas?

You either have a bad wiring harness or a bad PCM.....The injectors all get power from the same place.....they are grounded individually by the PCM(ECM).....since three injectors are working, the reference signal from the ICM to the PCM is present...
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Ninety Eight