Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 05:19 PM   #1
81eagle
AF Newbie

'97 Olds Achieva Passlock Issues

My daughter has a '97 Achieva 2.4l that has developed a start and die problem with a flashing SECURITY light. I have read as much info as I can find on the issue, and have tried the relearn which will allow me to start the car, but it seems as though once the key is removed it goes back to the start and die condition. I contacted NewRockies and they don't offer a warranty on the Module when installed in the Achieva due to too many returns. I contacted a IPC repair place and was also told that they don't repair the clusters in Achievas.

Am I correct in thinking that the Achieva uses the cluster instead of a BCM?

Can I bypass the IPC totally? Doing the resistor/splice that I have read elsewhere still leaves you dependent on the IPC correct?
81eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:46 PM   #2
81eagle
AF Newbie

Re: '97 Olds Achieva Passlock Issues

Furthermore, I am not clear in the resistance check on the ignition switch. If the switch is faulty how will I know if the resistance displayed is correct? The resistance is created by magnets and hall effect correct? If the magnets have moved, or anything is the cylinder is out of wack, won't that effect the resistance reading? Also If the relearn procedure works like it should, wouldn't the IPC just recognize the new value of the wore out cylinder?

Man I am getting confused!

If I wanted to do the splice in some resistors and I have an "open" in the lock cylinder/hall effect how would I find the resistance value?

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/pdf/Model781.pdf
Old 05-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #3
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Well first, I don't believe the '97 Achieva uses a BCM, it uses the IPC......

In the past, I have repaired these systems 3 ways.....

Replace the PassLock sensor.....

Install a resistor......

Install a toggle switch......the easiest approach......you cut the yellow wire to the lock cylinder and install a toggle switch(place the switch in an easily accessible spot......close switch......do relearn procedure....car starts and the THEFT LIGHT GOES OUT......NOW OPEN THE TOGGLE SWITCH, with the engine still running.....the THEFT light will come back on, but the engine will continue to run........now shut the vehicle off.......restart car......it will start and run, but the THEFT LIGHT WILL REMAIN ON......that is the price of installing a toggle switch.......this is like a backup mode.......if you have the wrong resistance at startup, the car will not start......but if the car starts, and runs, and then loses the resistance reading, it goes into a back up mode, and will continues to restart, with a Security codes set.....however, if the code is cleared, OR, if the battery dies or is disconnected, this resets the code and it is no longer in backup mode...now if you try to start the vehicle, and the R code is wrong it will not start.......so, let's say, for some reason, you have to disconnect the battery, chances are it will not restart......so you close the toggle switch, do the relearn procedure, the car will then start, the Theft light will go out....with CAR STILL RUNNING, you open the toggle switch....car continues to run, Theft light comes back on, but the car will restart, because you are in backup mode again....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
81eagle (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
81eagle
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
Well first, I don't believe the '97 Achieva uses a BCM, it uses the IPC......

In the past, I have repaired these systems 3 ways.....

Replace the PassLock sensor.....

Install a resistor......

Install a toggle switch......the easiest approach......you cut the yellow wire to the lock cylinder and install a toggle switch(place the switch in an easily accessible spot......close switch......do relearn procedure....car starts and the THEFT LIGHT GOES OUT......NOW OPEN THE TOGGLE SWITCH, with the engine still running.....the THEFT light will come back on, but the engine will continue to run........now shut the vehicle off.......restart car......it will start and run, but the THEFT LIGHT WILL REMAIN ON......that is the price of installing a toggle switch.......this is like a backup mode.......if you have the wrong resistance at startup, the car will not start......but if the car starts, and runs, and then loses the resistance reading, it goes into a back up mode, and will continues to restart, with a Security codes set.....however, if the code is cleared, OR, if the battery dies or is disconnected, this resets the code and it is no longer in backup mode...now if you try to start the vehicle, and the R code is wrong it will not start.......so, let's say, for some reason, you have to disconnect the battery, chances are it will not restart......so you close the toggle switch, do the relearn procedure, the car will then start, the Theft light will go out....with CAR STILL RUNNING, you open the toggle switch....car continues to run, Theft light comes back on, but the car will restart, because you are in backup mode again....
Right on man! Thanks for your response. I will install the toggle. I have cut the wire while running and it has started every time since, but thanks to your post I now understand the reason for the toggle. The close the circuit for a relearn in the future.....got it!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva