Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jaguar > S-Type
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 12:38 AM   #1
cogit0
AF Newbie

Question Is it any good?

I know many BMW and Mercedes owners but oddly enough I don’t know anyone who owns a jag. I was thinking of buying a year 2000 Jag S type but I have talked to many people and they say it’s not very good, or in other words “suck”. One person said I should buy two since one will be at the repair shop. Are they really that bad? I hear they are very hard to maintain and fix also they break down a lot compared to any other high/medium range car. Any unbiased input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

p.s I know the jag looks better the question is quality and the entire ford thing.
cogit0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 02:45 PM   #2
anarkist61
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to anarkist61 Send a message via MSN to anarkist61
Re: Is it any good?

Apparently the "Ford" thind IS the problem and I say that as a "Fordguy" so I don'y like to admit it!! But the Lincoln LS (which it's based on) is also a problematic car.
anarkist61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:32 PM   #3
rmyAddison
AF Newbie

I did a lot of research before I bought a 2003 S-Type 4.2

Jag did have a bad rep, I know people who have owned 3-4 Jags, they all say that around 2002-3, the quality really improved over all the lines.

The S-Type was completely redone for 2003, and has a good maintenance reputation. I love my 4.2, fast and different.

You may want to check histories on the 2000, was not a good year.

Good luck
rmyAddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:43 PM   #4
unwired
AF Newbie

I have a 2001 S-Type and have had no problems. I bought it used with 54k, great car so far. I've had it for about 2 months.
unwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 07:41 PM   #5
Presley348
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Presley348 Send a message via AIM to Presley348 Send a message via Yahoo to Presley348

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogit0
I know many BMW and Mercedes owners but oddly enough I don’t know anyone who owns a jag. I was thinking of buying a year 2000 Jag S type but I have talked to many people and they say it’s not very good, or in other words “suck”. One person said I should buy two since one will be at the repair shop. Are they really that bad? I hear they are very hard to maintain and fix also they break down a lot compared to any other high/medium range car. Any unbiased input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

p.s I know the jag looks better the question is quality and the entire ford thing.
================================================== ==========
Hi cogit0:

My parents own a new 04 S type, and so far they have had no problems with it, other than people stopping them in parking lots and admiring it, and asking them how much did it cost, etc.

I talked with a Jag Salesmen here in Atlanta, GA, and he said that Jaguar had transmission problems with the 2000, 01 and I believe 02 S types, but 03 forward the problem has been corrected by a German Transmission company that are in all 03 forward Jaguars, he said this is the same German Transmission Company that makes all BMWs transmissions, but you know, it sounded good, and with these starving for $$$ car salesmen who knows!

I hope this post can help you with your Jaguar decision, and I wish you the best in your New Jag hunt, and they are beautiful cars that somehow seem to get all the females attention!!!

Sincerely,

Presley348
Old 10-04-2004, 01:38 PM   #6
KeithG1
AF Newbie

Angry

I own an S-Type and am on my 4th transmission. If I were you I'd run as fast as I could and don't look back. For the S-Type beauty is only skin deep - this car is a complete piece of garbage and Jaguar couldn't care less about my problems.
KeithG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:59 PM   #7
Presley348
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Presley348 Send a message via AIM to Presley348 Send a message via Yahoo to Presley348

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithG1
I own an S-Type and am on my 4th transmission. If I were you I'd run as fast as I could and don't look back. For the S-Type beauty is only skin deep - this car is a complete piece of garbage and Jaguar couldn't care less about my problems.
================================================== ==================

Hi KeithG1:

I) A few quick questions?

a) What Year Jag. model S type do you own?

b) Did you purchase it new, or was it preowned?

c) Does it have an extended warranty?

d) How many miles does it have on it today?

Sincerely,

Presley348
Old 10-04-2004, 08:53 PM   #8
KeithG1
AF Newbie

I purchased it new.

2001 Model

I paid over $2000 for an extended warranty because of all the problems (Thanks for nothing Jaguar).

59K on the car now.

Does that help?
Old 10-04-2004, 09:21 PM   #9
Presley348
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithG1
I purchased it new.

2001 Model

I paid over $2000 for an extended warranty because of all the problems (Thanks for nothing Jaguar).

59K on the car now.

Does that help?
================================================== ==========

Hi again KeithG1:

I am truly sorry to hear about your transmission problems and how Jag USA are being jerks about it, but at least you have the extended warranty to cover it.

I do not know what state you lived in, but here in Georgia we can buy the lemon law without new cars, and it is my understanding that the "Lemon Law" protects all new car buyers from having the repeat non fixable, repeating problem issue.

I was reading on one of the Jag forums, it might had been this one, where a man like you with a new 2001 or 02 Jag took his car back to his local Jaguar dealer for the same problem over four times in a two year period, and with all the documentation he had and presented to the right people, Jaguar USA had to buy back his S type, under the "Lemon Law", and give him a brand new 2005 S type.

In conclusion: I hope the "Lemon Law" might be another avenue you can explore to get your repeat transmission issue resolved once and for all! I wish you the best! (I know you probably don't feel like it, but my God you bought a brand new, supposed to be a high quality luxury auto that cost you at least: 45,000.00+ Jaguar S Type, not no little $10,000 Hyundai! )

Sincerely,

Presley348

PS,
Be sure to keep us here at the forum posted on how things turn our for you.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:36 PM   #10
KeithG1
AF Newbie

Presley348

Thanks for your kind wishes. It really is incredible that Jaguar is so unwilling to help and is leaving me to post and discuss my problems anywhere I can. I'm searching to see if there are any class action suits and I will check into the New Jersey lemon law.

Thanks again!

Keith G
Old 10-07-2004, 10:56 AM   #11
CSko56
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to CSko56
My parents bought a used 2001 4.0 with around 55k miles. Engine-wise, it runs like a dream, but it had a couple very minor problems.

A part broke in the driverside window so it wouldnt roll up or down. I took it to my mechanic and he ordered the part and fixed the window for free.

Also, when they first bought the car, the rear speaker would pick up the engine's rpm's instead of playing music. The harder you pushed the gas, the more feedback the speaker would give. When I first drove it, it sounded like I was driving a shitty import ricer. So I just unhooked the back speaker and everything sounded fine. Never could figure out why it did that though.
CSko56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:50 PM   #12
philmag1
AF Newbie

We bought a 2000 Jag S type used from a dealer (leased car) with 20,000 miles on it. Paid 30,000. Here is what happened so far. we did buy the warranty TG!

25,000 Tune up, oil change, brakes almost 1,000.00 cost.
30,000 oil change, crack in overflow cannister covered in warranty.
35,000 oil change can't recall but needed some adjustment also 400.00
40,000 service with electrical malfunction smog equipment warranty. Other problem I do not recall but spent about 800.00
45,000 going in soon, Battery dead, trunk button on dash and trunk not working.

Other things I am noticing, Transmission is showing signs of slipping when shifting from reverse to forward. Oil changes are almost 100.00
Trunk paint is fading fast (color is black) Garaged.
philmag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 02:58 PM   #13
57JagXKSS
Banned

Well, 2003 S-Types are much better than 00-02 S-Types.
57JagXKSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:56 PM   #14
rmyAddison
AF Newbie

Over 30K on a 2003 S-Type 4.2, zero problems. The 00-02's did have issues, 03 is a complete overhaul.

I'm going back for an S-Type R, great car as long as you get 03 or newer.
rmyAddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 07:01 AM   #15
stype_2003
AF Newbie

Post Good ? Some are - Some are NOT

I bought a 2003 Model S-Type 4.2 new.

The interior is miles ahead of the older model. Seats are better, lots of little detail changes for the better.

But ...

The 6sp ZF Auto Gearbox has always lurched when coming to a halt. I have an animation on my website explaining this.

My Dealer is not interested. I have spoken with MANY others who have this Lurch. I have spoken with a Jaguar Test Driver who confirms it exists. I have had my car tested independently (twice) and I have written reports that confirm this Lurch. Jaguar do not respond to me.

Many people expereience squeaking steering columns. Fix is to change the oil - if that doesn't work they replace the steering rack.

There are also some owners (myself included) who have had our rear brakes burn out down to the bare metal (!) in under 13,000 miles.

I have compiled all the info I can about these problems on my website, along with LOTS of owners' feedback. Not all S-Types have these faults but if you are thinking of buying a 2003 model ... have a look at what others have experienced. Then you know what to look for.

D.
http://www.theLurch.com - Real experience of 2003 S-Type Ownership
stype_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jaguar > S-Type