Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #1
F1GTRUeno
AF Regular

What's my best chance of seeing an F1?

So as we're all here as massive F1 fans, I know many of you have been fortunate enough to see loads of them out and about or at events or even have the great opportunity of getting involved with the owners and taking part in big events that they organise.

I've been a massive fan of the F1 since I was a kid and have loved every second of being part of this community and learning loads and subsequently knowing loads about the different chassis but one huge part of my F1 fandom remains unfulfilled, I've never seen one in real life.

The closest any F1 has been to me has been at Oulton Park where #005 was a few years back for CarFest North (god I wish I'd have known about it cause I'd have gone just to see it) and I'm a bit stuck because seemingly nobody from 'oop North ever owns one or drives one up here for a journey.

I could/should really go to GFoS and at some point (perhaps this year) I will finally bite the bullet, get tickets and drive down but as it's right at the bottom of the country, I've never been before.

Is GFoS the best chance given there's usually an F1 or two there?

Sometimes I feel like driving down to Woking on a whim but there's little chance and definitely no predictable way of seeing an F1 in the wild and it's not like I can turn up at the factory cause they don't just let any visitor in. I know plenty of you have travelled for hours and through different countries to see them so I should really take inspiration from that level of dedication and get off my arse to see one finally eh?

Any help would be appreciated.
F1GTRUeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to carbuilder2002
Re: What's my best chance of seeing an F1?

Hello as someone from up north (north east actually) I have been lucky enough to have seen a handful of F1's, most of them at FOS and would certainly recommend going and not only for F1's but a great many very exotic road and racing machines. You may be lucky enough to meet an owner but you need to be both lucky and patient.
Good hunting.
carbuilder2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carbuilder2002 For This Useful Post:
F1GTRUeno (02-15-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 03:18 PM   #3
PatrickT82
AF Enthusiast

FoS is always a stunning event to see many supercars and hypercars even if there is no F1! I allready got my 2019 ticket;-)
PatrickT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:48 PM   #4
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1GTRUeno View Post
I know plenty of you have travelled for hours and through different countries to see them so I should really take inspiration from that level of dedication and get off my arse to see one finally eh?
Yes!

It does seem like GWFOS will always be your best chance to see one in the UK - that said, there are no guarantees. Outside of the F1 Tours, I've been fortunate to see as many F1s as I have by simply being in Monterey for Car Week as often as possible. Some years have been better than others, but I also missed a couple of chances on years that I skipped. The one constant is that they typically don't come to you, so you have to be wherever "there" is to hopefully take advantage.

If you wanted to really take a trip with guaranteed results you could also look to the museum near Cape Town, South Africa where chassis #023 is on display or the one in Naples, Florida where you will find chassis #022. I would recommend contacting either location in advance just to be sure the car will be there as they do rotate their displays, but both are pretty good options.

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 02-05-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1